Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2021, 10:26 AM   #1

sluggish acceleration on 99 2.5 automatic need HELP

Hello everyone

I am getting frustrated. I got my 1999 2.5 L Boxster as a project .....Car sat for a number of years and was not rode worthy when I got it so I wasn't able to compare. I have replaced the plugs and plug sleeves, AOS, airfilter, idle control valve, I used a smoke vacuum tester and there is no leaks. car runs , idles excellent. Also ran fuel cleaners ect in fresh gas. but driving it . it feels very sluggish. I have never driven a Boxster so I don't know what it should be like and don't expect it to be a rocket ship but it just doesn't seam right. I have no engine lights on and just passed Connecticut emissions yesterday. I have ordered a new fuel filter but in all my years of experience other then boats changing a fuel filter has done very little.

What else can I look for or try? everything I find says mass air flow sensor but i did the unplug test and it drives the same . feeling defeated

Empirelubeequipment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:20 PM   #2

Anyone? someone?
Old 05-10-2021, 01:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empirelubeequipment View Post
Hello everyone

I am getting frustrated. I got my 1999 2.5 L Boxster as a project .....Car sat for a number of years and was not rode worthy when I got it so I wasn't able to compare. I have replaced the plugs and plug sleeves, AOS, airfilter, idle control valve, I used a smoke vacuum tester and there is no leaks. car runs , idles excellent. Also ran fuel cleaners ect in fresh gas. but driving it . it feels very sluggish. I have never driven a Boxster so I don't know what it should be like and don't expect it to be a rocket ship but it just doesn't seam right. I have no engine lights on and just passed Connecticut emissions yesterday. I have ordered a new fuel filter but in all my years of experience other then boats changing a fuel filter has done very little.

What else can I look for or try? everything I find says mass air flow sensor but i did the unplug test and it drives the same . feeling defeated
It might be a good idle to clean the throttle body and mass air flow. Make sure you use the CRC cleaner.
mtb50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:56 PM   #4

Garage
The acceleration of a 2.5 Tip is 7.6s to 62mph. Try to measure the acceleration and if it`s nowhere near to that, you have a problem. Otherwise just get used to what 200HP can do to a car weighing 2900lb.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #5

Ok great i will see what i get going to 62mph I am 235 so i am not helping my case lol I will clean throttle body. I have already cleaned the maf and unplugged it and nothing changed. I am pretty confident its not an maf problem
Old 05-11-2021, 05:02 PM   #6

What octane are you feeding it?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:09 PM   #7

Well I did the speed test with a buddy and we were around 8.7 sec to get to the 60mph .
we did clean throttle body and replaced fuel filter which i do think helped. will aloso be replacing the coils once they come in and then i think I will be good.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:19 PM   #8
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
... just get used to what 200HP can do to a car weighing 2900lb.
THIS.

Also, the auto transmission isn't helping either. A 2.5L base Boxster driven in the "D" transmission setting feels like a slug.

Try driving it in the "M" position and rowing through the gears. And remember, these cars don't show their stuff until you're up to speed. They're not dragsters.

Just sayin'..........

TO

TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote