Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #1

It's hump day!

Today I took out one of my projects I've been working on for awhile. The car is a base model 1999, triple black. 5-speed. 74k miles. I've had the car about 6 years. It's a nice clean car, fairly basic. I use it for an occasional night out on the town and a road trip car. It only gets maybe 2500 miles/year, and like most of my cars, it's hardly been driven at all for the past two years.

I decided over the winter that this was going to be the year to get all the little projects done so I could just drive and enjoy them.

I dug into my parts stash and pulled out a set of clear headlights, smoked side marker lights and a set of 550 SE solid red tail lights that I got from Woody several years back.

I grabbed a set of 17" Boxster Dyno wheels that I had refinished and had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season tires mounted. I backed them up with 15mm spacers on each corner. It received new brakes several years ago, so nothing needed to be done there. I had a 4 wheel alignment done.

Brakes flushed, new fluid for brakes, clutch and transmission.

Next was a new windshield - the old one had a few chips and dings and I was getting tired of looking through it.

Then added a few carbon fiber pieces to the interior - gear shifter, parking brake, door pocket lids and door sills.

Also added a non-smoker cubby to the center console.

About 5 years ago I bought a set of black Speedster Humps from someone here on the forum. Pulled them off the shelf, got the spin locks installed and mounted up the Speedster Humps.

Installed an Eisemann exhaust tip that I also got from Woody several years back. (I think he thought I had gone off the deep end when I bought this from him. He didn't see the utility. )

I still have a few things to do to complete the car. It's getting a new soft top w/ glass rear window next month. The headlights need polished and it needs a good detail and paint correction. I have a 4 spoke carbon fiber steering wheel being restored that will go on the car. I have a set of red seatbelts that I also picked up from Woody some time back that I'd like to install.

All these little upgrades I think really add to the look of the car. The updated clear lights and red SE tail lights add a nice look. The Dyno wheels certainly aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I like they are a unique factory wheel. The Speedster humps look good, and, Hey Woody, what about that exhaust tip?

The last picture is from the depth of my shop. The Ocean Jade Metallic '99 is receiving pretty well the same treatment. The car in front of it is my Ocean Blue Metallic '99 aero car. It's next on the list to get a little love, then the green '99. Lot's of projects this spring and summer.

Look in my"Garage" on my profile on the sidebar and you can see the rest of my fleet.

So anyway, here it is for y'all to take a look at.

Attached Images

Old 05-02-2021, 05:20 AM   #2
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Looking good!!!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:47 AM   #3

Garage
Very nice! You are making me feel very lazy
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:25 PM   #4

Sweet ride!
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:29 PM   #5

Nice work! That ashtray delete cubby in the center console is going on my wish list!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:43 PM   #6

I'm glad to hear you're getting some time off to play. I forget, didn't you buy a green interior from me to go in the ocean metallic boxster? The tip looks good
Old 05-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I'm glad to hear you're getting some time off to play. I forget, didn't you buy a green interior from me to go in the ocean metallic boxster? The tip looks good
You gifted me a green dash and door cards - I think you had a buyer for the other things. Do you by chance have sport seats any color or condition sitting around? Shoot me a text if you have any, know of any or come across any. Thanks!

Yeah - I have a lot planned for the next few months - let me know what you've been up to.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #8

Oh and I spy a GT3 Euro bucket in the garage too! The pair I bought had the outboard seatbelt anchors for the harness lap belts sawed down. The price I paid for the 2 replacements from Porsche for those 2 parts made the cost of spinlocks look like an absolute bargain!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
Old 05-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Oh and I spy a GT3 Euro bucket in the garage too!
I have all kinds of treasures stashed away for future build projects. The other GT3 seat is sitting in one of the cars, and I have a set of GT3 seats in Boxster Red leather brand new sitting in their original boxes from Recaro.

And you're right - nothing is cheap when you're trying to find individual replacement pieces for something that some bonehead screwed up before you, and then your time and efforts to put something back to stock that should never have been messed with in the first place.

I have the radio out of the green car right now. Somebody before me butchered the factory wiring when they installed some cheap POS aftermarket stereo, so I managed to get a set of radio wiring harness ends from Jon (78F350) from one of his parts cars and now have to figure out how to surgically reattach it all.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
I have all kinds of treasures stashed away for future build projects. The other GT3 seat is sitting in one of the cars, and I have a set of GT3 seats in Boxster Red leather brand new sitting in their original boxes from Recaro.

And you're right - nothing is cheap when you're trying to find individual replacement pieces for something that some bonehead screwed up before you, and then your time and efforts to put something back to stock that should never have been messed with in the first place.

I have the radio out of the green car right now. Somebody before me butchered the factory wiring when they installed some cheap POS aftermarket stereo, so I managed to get a set of radio wiring harness ends from Jon (78F350) from one of his parts cars and now have to figure out how to surgically reattach it all.
While paying for an expensive part is no fun, you have the worse deal having to sort through the wiring for your radio. I might have been able to cobble something together for my issue, but I figured if I'm going to have these seats and harnesses to protect me on the track, then I'm not going to defeat that with something jerry-rigged that might look like it works, but wouldn't find out for sure until it might be too late!

I admire you for having multiple cars, one Boxster and a daily driver (which I don't do anything on myself) is all I can handle!