Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2021, 05:59 AM   #1

Picking up my first 986 today.

Hello all, new here. I've been looking for a Porsche in my price range for a while now. I originally wanted to find a cheap 996, but after some thought decided I'd probably get a 986 in better condition for the price.

I test drove a few and decided to purchase a 2001 S with 99k miles in Arctic Silver with the 6 speed manual. I really REALLY wanted a black car, but with everything this Silver car offers I can't turn it down. It's in great shape and comes with a FabSpeed Supercup exhaust (loud) and EVOMS intake and EVOMS tune. It has been maintained and it shows. Car needs absolutely nothing.

I look forward to joining the 986 community and learning as much as I can about these little roadsters. I will update with some pics when I get it home.

BK177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:58 AM   #2

Garage
That's awesome!

I am still waiting to take delivery on my first 986 this week from the mechanic. That FabSpeed Supercup is a straight pipe, isn't it? I think I saw a video on that and it was a monster. Thought about doing that myself, but don't really know that I need any more probable cause on my side, lol.

Congrats on the new acquisition!
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
That's awesome!

I am still waiting to take delivery on my first 986 this week from the mechanic. That FabSpeed Supercup is a straight pipe, isn't it? I think I saw a video on that and it was a monster. Thought about doing that myself, but don't really know that I need any more probable cause on my side, lol.

Congrats on the new acquisition!
Yes, it's basically a straight pipe. It is loud. If it was going to be my daily I wouldn't consider it. Some pretty bad drone to it. But it does sound pretty sweet. Conversation in the car would be quite difficult unless you found a good cruising speed on the highway.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #4

Garage
Congrats and welcome! These are great little cars and the value can't be beat IMO. They're also easy to work on if you are so inclined.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
Congrats and welcome! These are great little cars and the value can't be beat IMO. They're also easy to work on if you are so inclined.
Thanks! And I am inclined. I hope to not have much other than some maintenance things for a while. The PO was anal and had the thing on a lift every few weeks to make sure everything was tight and drip free. I agree with the value for what you get. My search for a sports car kept bringing me back to the 986. The 996 has always been a dream of mine, being 16 when they came out and having a subscription to Motor Trend. Maybe next year, for now I'm just going to enjoy the hell out of this car.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:56 AM   #6

I haven't had time to get any good pics, but I took these when I went and looked at it a few days ago. I plan on removingthe racing stripe on the hood and rear, and he has some decals from all of the performanceparts he put on, I will be removing them as well. Drove it 2 hours home with the top down as it was a rare 80 degree day here in Michigan. I've taken it for a few spins the last few days including a "hell ride" with a buddy yesterday. I'm still learning the car, but man this little thing just goes. And that FabSpeed Supercup exhaust is gnarly.

I didn't really put much thought into the whole "tune" thing but the previous owner sent me the email traffic between him and the president of EVO motorsports regarding the performance mods and the stage 3 tune. PO put a lot of money into performance parts over the last few months and he paid quite a bit for that custom tune based on the upgrades. In the emails the president of Evo Motorsports claimed that with the upgrades he made, along with the stage 3 tune they get about 292hp and 260 lbs/ft of torque on their dyno. I don't know how accurate that is but this car has a noticeable difference in power than the other S that I took for a test drive. It sounds and feels like a little race car.

I'm not sure I could've done any better from a performance perspective than what I paid for this car. It's a bang for the buck no brainer when it comes to a cheap sports car, IMO.