Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2021, 05:34 PM   #1

Gas in oil and white flakes in the filter

Ok, I need some experienced wisdom from the collective.

I just finished heavily modified intake and exhaust, UDP, new plugs and coils, running 996 tune for 20ish miles now without any codes or obvious issues except for coolant barfing out the overflow tube in first run. While investigating the coolant leak, I noticed that the oil reeked of gasoline. It's been a little over a year since changing it so back on the stands she went.

With the coolant leak I had experienced I was concerned about a cracked head or gasket and praying to the car gods that I wouldn't find any metal chunks in the filter. That prayer was answered with an asterisk.

The oil poured out like water - I have done plenty of oil changes and I've not seen anything like it. However, it was perfectly black and no milkshake sludge to suggest intermixing. No particles noticed anywhere, but the stuff flooded out so fast it's hard to tell.

Next came the filter. Housing was clean. Then the inspection...3 or 4 flakes of white hard material lodged in the folds. Otherwise spotless. Not a speck of anything metallic looking.

So, what the hell is this? It almost looks like the gasket maker along the oil pan, but I've never dropped the pan. So, I guess the million dollar question is this - where else is that type of sealant used? Did the factory use a layer of it between the block, head gasket, and head?

I searched this forum and the others and I've not come across anything like it. My hope is that gas in the oil is from a leaking injector and these chunks came from the oil pan and all will be right in the world again. My gut tells me something is falling apart though. Hopefully someone can shed some light.

Best, Ike

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by ike84; 04-08-2021 at 05:37 PM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:32 PM   #2

Looks like chain tensioner pad material to me. I always recommend dropping the pan to get a look at what's collecting on the bottom. Specially if it looks like someone has been there before. Lots of people put too much gasket maker on the pan before reinstalling it. The extra gasket maker can break off and clog the screen of the pick-up tube.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Looks like chain tensioner pad material to me. I always recommend dropping the pan to get a look at what's collecting on the bottom. Specially if it looks like someone has been there before. Lots of people put too much gasket maker on the pan before reinstalling it. The extra gasket maker can break off and clog the screen of the pick-up tube.
Thanks woody, I appreciate your input. I haven't gotten familiar with the chain tensioning system on our motors yet, maybe now is a good time to do so.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:20 PM   #4

No problem. I wouldn't stress too hard about it, but you definitely want to keep an eye on future oil changes and make sure it doesn't get worse.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99610525300.htm?pn=996-105-253-00-M100&SVSVSI=1047&DID=363
Old 04-09-2021, 03:33 AM   #5

Quote:
No problem. I wouldn't stress too hard about it, but you definitely want to keep an eye on future oil changes and make sure it doesn't get worse.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99610525300.htm?pn=996-105-253-00-M100&SVSVSI=1047&DID=363
Those are surprisingly cheap... Looks like the process is a bear though. I've got a borescope coming next week so I'll scope the oil pan to look at the pickup screen and then pop off the cam cover to look at those lower rails. Of course I just flashed to ROW so I will only be able to get timing adjustments off bank 1 lol. Maybe need to flash to USA to get both sides.

What's your take on the gas mixing with oil? Any suggestions?

Old 04-09-2021, 09:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Of course I just flashed to ROW so I will only be able to get timing adjustments off bank 1 lol. Maybe need to flash to USA to get both sides.
This I have never heard of, but have been contemplating to do the ROW flash on my 2001 986.
Why ROW version would only show the timing on bank 1 and not on both?
Old 04-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #7

Because the rest of the world doesn't have to deal with the US EPA so you only have to worry about 1 bank not both like we do in the US.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:42 PM   #8

I have actually wondered the same thing, I see it more as a diagnostic tool than an issue regarding epa regulations, but I'm sure that there's something I don't know about it.

The ROW cars don't even come with the second sensor port tapped, it's just blank. There was a guy that recently posted that he thought the sensor melted and welded the port shut lol.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:35 PM   #9

Quote:
I have actually wondered the same thing, I see it more as a diagnostic tool than an issue regarding epa regulations, but I'm sure that there's something I don't know about it.

The ROW cars don't even come with the second sensor port tapped, it's just blank. There was a guy that recently posted that he thought the sensor melted and welded the port shut lol.

I guess it's live and learn case for me again
I'd prefer to be able to read both banks timing adjustments regadless whrere the car was originally shipped to.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:47 AM   #10

Quote:

What's your take on the gas mixing with oil? Any suggestions?
I'm no expert but I'm thinking the only way gas can get into the oil is a leaking injector or maybe a very rich running motor. Maybe the oil you're using just smells that way?
Old 04-10-2021, 03:54 AM   #11

Quote:
I'm no expert but I'm thinking the only way gas can get into the oil is a leaking injector or maybe a very rich running motor. Maybe the oil you're using just smells that way?
Mobil 1 0w40. I've heard that they've gone down hill in recent times but damn.

I was worried about running too rich too, especially with the 996 tune in my 2.7. I haven't read afrs yet but the exhaust isn't black and I'm not getting any error codes.

The only other thing I could think of is if there is too much blowby - ring failure, ring land failure, cylinder scoring - but I have good vacuum on the oil fill tube at idle where I would think those conditions would create positive pressure. I don't know that for sure though, maybe someone can chime in on that?