Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #1

Replacing AOS, noticed broken line

I am currently replacing the AOS, which, by the way, is a pain. There is nothing "difficult" about this job (I have experience doing almost all maintenance on previous cars), but that bottom hose is a huge pain to get off the canister, and I can actually get my hands on it.

Onto the broken line: I noticed that the line, which appears to have some sort of wire in it, is broken. I'm sure someone here knows what this line is, and whether I have just added cost and time to my AOS replacement. I've put red arrows pointing to the line below. Just so everyone is oriented, this is taken from the passenger side rear of the engine bay, with the AOS visible on the right side of these photos.

Old 04-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #2

Garage
That is your dipstick tube. It will need to be replaced. The wire is the dipstick.

Just an FYI; Now the oil fill tube, the bank 2 vent line to the bottom connection of the AOS and all the small vacuum lines for the SAI system are at risk.

Last edited by 911monty; 04-03-2021 at 12:15 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
That is your dipstick tube. It will need to be replaced. The wire is the dipstick.

Just an FYI; Now the oil fill tube, the bank 2 vent line to the bottom connection of the AOS and all the small vacuum lines for the SAI system are at risk.
Well that is disappointing. Can you say a little bit more about why all those things are all at risk? What are they at risk of?
AXCM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:22 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXCM2 View Post
Well that is disappointing. Can you say a little bit more about why all those things are all at risk? What are they at risk of?
Since they are apparently the same vintage pieces, they are hard and subject to breakage like the dipstick tube if subjected to movement and are all in the same approximate location where you will be working.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Since they are apparently the same vintage pieces, they are hard and subject to breakage like the dipstick tube if subjected to movement and are all in the same approximate location where you will be working.
That's good to know! I'll have to be careful. Thank you for the quick reply and the information, I really appreciate it.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
That's good to know! I'll have to be careful. Thank you for the quick reply and the information, I really appreciate it.
Hello AXCM2, I know that you are trying to keep the cost down, but I believe that what 911monty is trying to say is that since you are going to be replacing the AOS you may want to consider replacing the other plastic hoses as well, specially since you would be having access to most of them, specially the accordion hose that is made of kind of fragile plastic that is now 20+ years old..
Good Luck with your project!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:21 PM   #7

Quote:
I am currently replacing the AOS, which, by the way, is a pain. There is nothing "difficult" about this job (I have experience doing almost all maintenance on previous cars), but that bottom hose is a huge pain to get off the canister, and I can actually get my hands on it.

Onto the broken line: I noticed that the line, which appears to have some sort of wire in it, is broken. I'm sure someone here knows what this line is, and whether I have just added cost and time to my AOS replacement. I've put red arrows pointing to the line below. Just so everyone is oriented, this is taken from the passenger side rear of the engine bay, with the AOS visible on the right side of these photos.

In terms of the "other things at risk" one main reason things like fails is because of bad motor mounts. The setup in this car is unique, one mount in front of the engine and two on the tranny. Bad mounts = increased engine vibrations = increased stress on components that bridge the motor and the rest of the car.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2021, 09:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Hello AXCM2, I know that you are trying to keep the cost down, but I believe that what 911monty is trying to say is that since you are going to be replacing the AOS you may want to consider replacing the other plastic hoses as well, specially since you would be having access to most of them, specially the accordion hose that is made of kind of fragile plastic that is now 20+ years old..
Good Luck with your project!
This sounds like a humble brag, but honestly this was not a cost saving measure, this was a I-want-to-do-the-work-myself measure. I have found myself without a serious hobby and I am hoping this car allows me to l.

With that being said, I inspected all the hoses carefully and I’m relatively confident they are all in good shape, and that I broke the dipstick tube with one my hands or arms when trying to get the AOS out.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
In terms of the "other things at risk" one main reason things like fails is because of bad motor mounts. The setup in this car is unique, one mount in front of the engine and two on the tranny. Bad mounts = increased engine vibrations = increased stress on components that bridge the motor and the rest of the car.

This makes sense to me considering how much I felt the engine move before I had the mounts replaced. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-04-2021, 09:23 AM   #10

So one thing that isn’t clear to me is that when replacing the dipstick tube, is the one end a press fit? Not the end that is in the trunk, but the end that is towards the engine. It seems like it’s just a rubber press fitting, but I don’t want to pull it out hard and break something.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:09 AM   #11

Quote:
So one thing that isn’t clear to me is that when replacing the dipstick tube, is the one end a press fit? Not the end that is in the trunk, but the end that is towards the engine. It seems like it’s just a rubber press fitting, but I don’t want to pull it out hard and break something.
I have not replaced the dipstick in this car, but the others that I have done are indeed a press in, usually with a rubber o ring that seats on the block, and then a tab somewhere along the tube that will hard mount to the frame. Check the replacent part and see if that's all that is there.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:24 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Have a look at the new part. It is not press fit. There is a square block on the end with 2 yellow rectangular squares that get pressed in to release the tube from the block.