Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2021, 07:02 AM   #1

Just starting my LS v8 conversion

Now retired with the time to work on my 2003 Boxster S 3.2. Starting a LS swap. Got an adapter, flywheel and clutch on the shelf. Bought a junk yard L92 and have started prepping it for installation. Essentially turning it into an LS3. Ordered a LS3 intake, Saved the wiring harness and ECU for later. Deleting VVT and looking for the right cam. Need all the help I can get to get the balancer closer to the engine and find the right water manifold. It is going to be fun eventually cramming the LS into the Boxster. Others have done it so I am convinced I can.:dance:

obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:02 AM   #2

The truck balancer sticks out the most.

The next shortest is the 4th gen camaro and firebirds. The 5 th gen cars went to the truck spacing.

Next in line is the corvette version with matching water pump.

The absolutely shortest set up they ran was on the LS4. You will have to get the front of the crank shortened. The water pump is moved off center to get it super close.
ADOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:20 PM   #3

LS4 is the front pulley you want

Thats the V8 from the FWD cars. So its the shortest. You might be able to use a crank from an LS4 in just about any LS no machining required... but don't quote me there.

Gonna make your own engine cradle or buy a pre-fab one?

My buddy has a TB SS with a 6.0 in it. He went with a 216/218 cam... can't recall the lift, but it cranks out the power. Not much chop.

What heads are you gonna run? That should help you make your decision on what cam to get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPAeepqrY-0

^^^^ the "Walter White" of cams for your entertainment.

YUS, more Chevy peoples

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used

Last edited by Qingdao; 04-02-2021 at 06:00 PM.
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:33 PM   #4

Update...Sprucing up my Junk yard LS 6.2 L92. Deleting VVT and going with a comp thumper cam 54-600-11 219/233 Decided to use the corvette accessory spacing on the front of the engine. Planning for Earls remote water pump manifold up front. will find or make brackets for alternator and AC compressor low on each side. Will make my own engine frame/cradle. There is an Aussie on Youtube just made one for an Audi V8 going into his boxster. Will pattern mine very much like it. Oh, staying with the L92 heads with rectangle intakes. This L92 is just over 400 HP stock. I hope to make about 50 more HP with the cam.

Last edited by obthomas; 04-07-2021 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
Update...Sprucing up my Junk yard LS 6.2 L92. Deleting VVT and going with a comp thumper cam 54-600-11 219/233 Decided to use the corvette accessory spacing on the front of the engine. Planning for Earls remote water pump manifold up front. will find or make brackets for alternator and AC compressor low on each side. Will make my own engine frame/cradle. There is an Aussie on Youtube just made one for an Audi V8 going into his boxster. Will pattern mine very much like it. Oh, staying with the L92 heads with rectangle intakes. This L92 is just over 400 HP stock. I hope to make about 50 more HP with the cam.
What's your plan for the transaxle? That's a lot of power to be putting through a 986, even the 6 speed. I'm super psyched to watch this go down though!

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2021, 05:28 AM   #6

Others have told me that the transaxle will be fine with a billet side cover. Actually I think the axles will be the weak link.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:08 PM   #7

Speaking of axles. You're gonna have issues with your rear swaybar links if you move your trans back. I had to add some spacing behind them to clear the axles.

How far has that aussi gotten? I haven't been watching too much of him.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:47 PM   #8

Ah, I saw the aussie's most recent video. He made his cradle much similar to how I made mine last year; except I added an extra support on either side that connects to the aluminum side braces. I didn't feel too confident in an engine supported by two points; IDK why I was so uneasy (Probably I woulda had more confidence if I had done an ounce of math, but I figured GO BIG NO MATHS NEEDED lol)

The Orange is the trans cradle I made out of the existing trans arm thingys.

In Yellow are the hockey pucks that the trans cradle rests on. There is an angle iron brace that runs down from the original mounting points and across. The hockey pucks and trans mounts rest on this solid cross member.

In blue is the additional bracing I put on just to supplement the old transmission "triangle"

I think you're gonna end up with something quite similar to this. I, at least, am not able to see another way of easily supporting the transmission... I guess you could go strait across the top and have the trans hang from some kind of mounts, but that seems kinda overly complex. Where hockey pucks are a tried and true method of supporting an engine.

Old 04-10-2021, 03:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
in blue is the additional bracing I put on just to supplement the old transmission "triangle".
I have been thinking about ways to delete the sheet metal brace and you're the first person I've seen to do it. So you made a square from steel tubing and attached it at the rear and front? Sorry, the resolution on the pic is really crappy. What did you write there in blue?

Old 04-10-2021, 06:50 AM   #10

Keep going with the pictures and solutions. I am taking all this in. Right now I am still fluffing up my engine. I have a point of no return when I start to tear up my perfectly good running boxster. My main objective right now is to keep my engine and accessories as short as possible. I started with a L92 with a lot out front. The water pump is going remote and a low mount alternator and corvette spacing is in the plans. All you others than have crammed this engine into your Boxsters give me hope that I can do it too.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
I have been thinking about ways to delete the sheet metal brace and you're the first person I've seen to do it. So you made a square from steel tubing and attached it at the rear and front? Sorry, the resolution on the pic is really crappy. What did you write there in blue?

hehe... Yeah, the "delete" was completely unintentional. I was cleaning house of all the M96 parts I had in the garage during the swap and I just tossed the triangle thing in the trash not thinking it was structurally important. Before I had the swap done somone on here made a post about how it was important, so I made due. TBH I don't think the original would fit around my transmission cradle.

The blue text reads "this is a suplemement for the transmission "triangle" Its just extra bracing". Sorry I'm hopeless when it comes to pictures and media.

Oh man, I saw V8 and ran to a V6 LOL... But I saw the limitations on the 5 speed trans and I wanted a roots blower*, so I made the V6 decision. Also, all my accessories and everything engine wise is 100% GM; so parts purchasing and replacing stuff is totally off the shelf easy. *a top mounted roots blower wouldn't be possible on an American V8 in a boxster. So I wouldn't hold myself to doing anything particularly challenging, I just put an engine in a hole. American V8 seems to require some effort.

OP: are you going with E-power steering? If it was me I'd make a power steering pump from like a Camry fit and mount it on my left cross member. The Left side of the engine bay is like 100% baron compared to the right side. The right side has all manner of coolant hoses and whatnot. I used the extra space on the left to mount a small oil cooler.

Speaking of coolant. I don't know, and I don't think that it matters, but the pressure ratting on the boxster cap is 22psi and most GM 90* V blocks (V6 or V8) are ratted at 16psi. I've seen other V8 swapped boxsters run the OEM coolant tank, but that did concern me enough to swap to an aftermarket expansion tank with a 16 psi cap. The extra pressure is clearly there to raise the BP of the coolant, but IDK if that is what GM had in mind when they engineered the engine. Seemed like the best idea for me just to go ahead and swap it over before I ran the crap out of the engine. YMMV

^^^ Yay another terribly blurry hopelessly complex picture of the underside of my car. lol

But I did forget to mention that I did NOT go 100% the same route as the Australian. My subframe bolts under the car in the front. There are two VERY large 1/4" backing plates under my carpet under my seats. That's where the front two arms of the subframe connect to the vehicle.

You can see pretty clearly in the picture that if one was to put a V8 in there with an almost flush harmonic balancer you wouldn't have to move the engine/trans too far back. As my accessories have about as much length as an extra cylinder would measure.

Last edited by Qingdao; 04-10-2021 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Raise not lower; silly me
Old 04-11-2021, 12:35 PM   #12

Haven't given much thought to the power steering yet. Waiting to see how much space there will be. Last resort will be electric as others have done.