Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2021, 04:08 AM   #1

sudden power loss - Boxster '00 S/Tiptronic

I had a strange thing happen on the drive home from work yesterday, driving my '00 S Tiptronic (which BTW, just had the tranny fluid and filter replaced just last weekend)
I pulled onto the Mass turnpike, and had moved over to the 3rd lane, cruising along at 65 or so., just fine.
I wanted to pass someone, but when I stepped on the gas, all of a sudden there was like very little or none throttle response.
No warning lights on the dash at all
I was able to get over to the shoulder of the road without incident.
I turned the car off, waited about 30 secs, and turned it back on.
Still no warning lights. I proceeded in the breakdown lane to see how it behaved, and it seemed back to normal, so I pulled out and continued on my way, everything again functioning normally (tried in both full auto mode, and also in Manual/tiptronic)
I saw this link when doing a web search on it at
Sounds like could be something to do with gas pedal, though I am not seeing any codes or warning lights. Have any of you folks ever experienced this?

Steveinsouthborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveinsouthborough View Post
I had a strange thing happen on the drive home from work yesterday, driving my '00 S Tiptronic (which BTW, just had the tranny fluid and filter replaced just last weekend)
I pulled onto the Mass turnpike, and had moved over to the 3rd lane, cruising along at 65 or so., just fine.
I wanted to pass someone, but when I stepped on the gas, all of a sudden there was like very little or none throttle response.
No warning lights on the dash at all
I was able to get over to the shoulder of the road without incident.
I turned the car off, waited about 30 secs, and turned it back on.
Still no warning lights. I proceeded in the breakdown lane to see how it behaved, and it seemed back to normal, so I pulled out and continued on my way, everything again functioning normally (tried in both full auto mode, and also in Manual/tiptronic)
I saw this link when doing a web search on it at
Sounds like could be something to do with gas pedal, though I am not seeing any codes or warning lights. Have any of you folks ever experienced this?
Has the battery gone dead or been disconnected in the recent past?
The gas pedal is drive by wire so it can be re-calibrated.
The procedure is-
Turn the key to the on position do not start the car do not touch the gas pedal.
Wait one minute. Turn the key off. Wait at lest 10 seconds ( I wait 30).
Restart the car.
The gas pedal should be re-calibrated.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:50 PM   #3

I'm thinking throttle body is going out or at a minimum needs cleaning
Old 03-25-2021, 06:53 AM   #4

I had this same problem, happened a lot at speed on the highway. Turned out the fuel pump was going out.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Has the battery gone dead or been disconnected in the recent past?
The gas pedal is drive by wire so it can be re-calibrated.
The procedure is-
Turn the key to the on position do not start the car do not touch the gas pedal.
Wait one minute. Turn the key off. Wait at lest 10 seconds ( I wait 30).
Restart the car.
The gas pedal should be re-calibrated.
No, the Battery hasn't gone bad and has not been disconnected at all since I've owned it.

I'm going to check the service records I got when I bought the car, I'm fairly sure I saw that the fuel pump had been changed once already, but will double-check when i get home.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveinsouthborough View Post
No, the Battery hasn't gone bad and has not been disconnected at all since I've owned it.

I'm going to check the service records I got when I bought the car, I'm fairly sure I saw that the fuel pump had been changed once already, but will double-check when i get home.
Having not disconnected the battery or had a dead battery then your gas pedal calibration should be fine. But it is an easy thing to do so it would eliminate that as related to the issue.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #7

Did you check for any pending codes?
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:41 AM   #8

Problem solved , it was the throttle body. It took a while for the shop to find a good used OEM one (They have had bad luck with replacement parts from Bosch and other aftermarket suppliers so they don’t use them at all)
They found one at an auto boneyard in Rhode Island and drove down to get it for me. Car is now running like a champ and not throwing any code