Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2021, 08:52 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
....As I posted, twice already, it’s not that the oil itself “goes bad”, it’s that the oil sump fills with water from condensation and the fuel that gets by the piston rings.

The contaminants collect in the sump.

Just sitting in there, corrosion occurs and your oil will not be as good a lubricant because it won’t just be oil that is being pumped throughout your engine on startup.

And for crying out loud, if you invested in a sports car, you made a commitment to owning a complex piece of machinery, and that requires maintenance. And that costs money.

So suck it up, and drop a $100 on an oil change.

I’m sorry, but if $100 every six months is “wasting money”, then you should not have invested in the car in the first place.

Ride a bicycle.

And lube the bike chain.
I agree with frequent oil changes if it`s reasonable. But changing oil every half year in a car that was sitting makes no sense to me either. It`s a waste for the environment. Yes, oil gets acidic because of blow by, as exhaust gases produce acids in the oil eventually. But an engine that`s sitting nothing is going to blow by the rings. Also, it`s a closed system, accumulation of water from air is negligible in 6 months. Its not hygroscopic like brake fluid.

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #22

I think yall got the wrong question to be asking... Why do yall let your car sit for 6 months without driving it. LOL

I know its cause of salt; not everyone can be blessed with a state that has moderate weather year round.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #23

Well I ended up getting the oil, I received the filter today. I think what I am going to do is run it as is this season. If I hit 5000 miles this summer which is very unlikely I will change it. If not I will change it in the fall per the experts advise. This oil looks like the day I dumped it in there . I know it has 2000 miles on it. Probably be a year old in June. I’m going to sell my Harley so I might get more use out of the car. I have to many toys and not enough time . See how the summer goes. Got my first shot a week ago hopefully we are all on our way to putting this flue business behind us
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:22 AM   #24
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Last time...

....I said,”The Oil Itself Does NOT go bad..”

I know oil is not hydroscopic.

The water that condenses in the sump does not get absorbed by the oil. It just mixes with the oil on startup. And it dilutes the oil as it is pumped throughout your engine. This lowers the oil’s ability to lubricate and float your rods and such on a film of nice, strong, oil.

Also, water is a corrosive force as it is pumped through your engine.

Remember that these cars have variable valve timing. Your engine oil isn’t just a lubricant, but it acts as a hydraulic fluid as well, activating the variable valve timing and pumping up your cam chain tensioners. Having water pumped through those TINY orifices acts like a cutting agent to the parts.

Look at a photo of the cam phaser. Look at how tiny that hole is that the oil gets pumped through to change the valve timing. Now imagine a bit of water, not much, getting pumped in there instead of oil.

The right oil, in the right place, at the right time. That is lubrication.

Displace a bit of oil with water and you lose that lubrication.

So, drive the car.

And change your oil every six months.

Ok. NOW I’m done.

Good luck.

But seriously, drive more. 😁
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:36 AM   #25
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
I think yall got the wrong question to be asking... Why do yall let your car sit for 6 months without driving it. LOL

I know its cause of salt; not everyone can be blessed with a state that has moderate weather year round.
Up here it ain’t just the salt. In fact little salt is used here since it doesn’t work when it’s 20C below. The issue is driving down a road with 6 inch ridges of packed ice in a car with only 4 inches of clearance. The ideal winter vehicle of choice up here is a raised F-150 4X4 with 400 lbs of sand in the back. So, my Boxster goes to bed with fresh oil in late October and wakes up in early April. And she loves me for that. My wife has an Escape we use 90% of the time in winter and I have a beater Fusion I use if needed.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:39 AM   #26

Quote:
....As I posted, twice already, it’s not that the oil itself “goes bad”, it’s that the oil sump fills with water from condensation and the fuel that gets by the piston rings.

The contaminants collect in the sump.

Just sitting in there, corrosion occurs and your oil will not be as good a lubricant because it won’t just be oil that is being pumped throughout your engine on startup.

And for crying out loud, if you invested in a sports car, you made a commitment to owning a complex piece of machinery, and that requires maintenance. And that costs money.

So suck it up, and drop a $100 on an oil change.

I’m sorry, but if $100 every six months is “wasting money”, then you should not have invested in the car in the first place.

Ride a bicycle.

And lube the bike chain.
you realize I hope, that the oil and fuel in the oil boil off when you drive it right? If you did a used oil analysis, you'd realize that the amount of water and fuel in a car with no mechanical issues is very minimal.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:02 AM   #27
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Wow...

....so you guys apparently do not read my posts.

See that part where I said,”..on START UP.”

Yes, the water burns off, but not instantly.

ON START UP, when your parts are dry, you are pumping this water diluted oil throughout your engine.

The water displaces the oil from the bearings and acts as a cutting agent against the internal parts, and prevents not only proper wear protection from a solid oil film, but also prevents the cam chain tensioners from acting quickly.

You ever get a lot of chain noise on cold starts?

But fine, save yourself the $100 bucks.

Again, oil is cheap, engines are expensive.

You bought a freaking Porsche. Spend the money for proper maintenance.

Out.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:10 AM   #28

Garage
Quote:
....so you guys apparently do not read my posts.
We do read your posts. This is what you said:

Oil just sitting in the sump, with the car never started, collects water from condensation every morning. It’s not that the oil itself goes bad, it’s that it collects water and will creat sludge and corrosion.

I replied to this statement when I said it`s a complete waste to change oil in a car that did not run for six months and it`s bad for the environment.

Oil does not collect water from condensation every morning because it`s a closed system. If you pour fresh oil into an engine, never start it up, then you drain the oil, it`s exactly the same you had poured in it before.

As for oil-water mixture pumping through the engine: even in an engine that runs every day the water accumulation in engine oil is negligible. Some water from air may get into the cylinders after passing the air filter or the kats but will evaporate instantly once the combustion turns on. Water originating from burnt fuel will leave the engine through the exhaust. If ANY water gets into the sump it will sink down to the bottom of the sump as being heavier than oil and won`t get picked up. Oil does not mix with water. If water got trapped in the sump, it will evaporate, then get back to the engine with the crankcase gasses and the engine burns it. If any water accumulated in the sump you should see that fraction first coming off when you change oil. I`ve never seen anything like that even in engines where oil had not been changed for years.

Like I said, I don`t mind spending money on my car if it`s reasonable. But changing oil every half a year because water displaces oil and cuts internal parts does not seem very reasonable to me. Especially if the car was not turned on.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
We do read your posts. This is what you said:

Oil just sitting in the sump, with the car never started, collects water from condensation every morning. It’s not that the oil itself goes bad, it’s that it collects water and will creat sludge and corrosion.

I replied to this statement when I said it`s a complete waste to change oil in a car that did not run for six months and it`s bad for the environment.

Oil does not collect water from condensation every morning because it`s a closed system. If you pour fresh oil into an engine, never start it up, then you drain the oil, it`s exactly the same you had poured in it before.

As for oil-water mixture pumping through the engine: even in an engine that runs every day the water accumulation in engine oil is negligible. Some water from air may get into the cylinders after passing the air filter or the kats but will evaporate instantly once the combustion turns on. Water originating from burnt fuel will leave the engine through the exhaust. If ANY water gets into the sump it will sink down to the bottom of the sump as being heavier than oil and won`t get picked up. Oil does not mix with water. If water got trapped in the sump, it will evaporate, then get back to the engine with the crankcase gasses and the engine burns it. If any water accumulated in the sump you should see that fraction first coming off when you change oil. I`ve never seen anything like that even in engines where oil had not been changed for years.

Like I said, I don`t mind spending money on my car if it`s reasonable. But changing oil every half a year because water displaces oil and cuts internal parts does not seem very reasonable to me. Especially if the car was not turned on.
bingo.

You are not getting quarts of water in the oil from condensation. Every year...fine. every 6 months...nah.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:50 PM   #30
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

I....

....never said, “quarts” of water.

But fine, let’s say my explanation is exaggerating the danger.

I will end with this thought, how is it any cheaper in your time and money to drain a little bit of oil, or suck it out the dip stick tube, and then mail it off and get it analyzed, instead of just changing the oil?

Now I’m truly done.