Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2021, 01:01 PM   #1

996 GT3 Front Bumper question (Attention owners!)

Hello, I finally found a GT3 front bumper and got it delivered today.

For those that have this same bumper, can you tell me if the lower bottom portion in the middle has a slight "hump" in the middle?

At first I thought it got bent up a little but I am not sure now. Are they made like this?

The photo will explain better.

Please let me know. Don't want to paint if there's a problem to be addressed!

Thanks

9864ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:04 PM   #2

per photos I see from wikipedia from 1st gen 996 GT3's it definitely looks a little bent. Might straighten out once all securing screw are in place. Or maybe stuff something in there to wedge apart and gently hit w heat gun. Your paint guy when he resprays can do as well.

Good luck
Old 03-18-2021, 02:24 PM   #3

Mine does not have a hump or bump in the middle , it may have been tweeked during shipment . Also because my Boxster is an S model with the third radiator I cut out that center section for air flow . I used a hole saw about the same size as the opening and drilled the two ends . Then cut out the piece in-between with a air zip wheel . A little filing and sanding and good to go .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Mine does not have a hump or bump in the middle , it may have been tweeked during shipment . Also because my Boxster is an S model with the third radiator I cut out that center section for air flow . I used a hole saw about the same size as the opening and drilled the two ends . Then cut out the piece in-between with a air zip wheel . A little filing and sanding and good to go .
I was actually thinking about doing the same thing to my 986 base stock bumper after install of center radiator. Do you have some pics of yours to see how it turned out?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2021, 04:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
I was actually thinking about doing the same thing to my 986 base stock bumper after install of center radiator. Do you have some pics of yours to see how it turned out?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Do a search for my screen name , there are pics posted on this forum .
Old 03-18-2021, 04:13 PM   #6

Mine is an S too so I have to cut as well. From what I see it's easier to cut it out from the back is that what you did? There's a clear line where it looks like it should separate from what I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Old 03-18-2021, 04:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
per photos I see from wikipedia from 1st gen 996 GT3's it definitely looks a little bent. Might straighten out once all securing screw are in place. Or maybe stuff something in there to wedge apart and gently hit w heat gun. Your paint guy when he resprays can do as well.

Good luck
I wonder if it just looks weird because the lower lip is missing? I am going to order a new one and then see what it looks like when installed.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:54 PM   #8

Congrats. I never noticed a hump before but maybe I'll need to look closer. You may need to mount it and then take a heat gun to it to soften it up some so you can reshape it.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9864ever View Post
Mine is an S too so I have to cut as well. From what I see it's easier to cut it out from the back is that what you did? There's a clear line where it looks like it should separate from what I see.
If I remember correctly I did cut it from the back .
Old 03-19-2021, 03:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Congrats. I never noticed a hump before but maybe I'll need to look closer. You may need to mount it and then take a heat gun to it to soften it up some so you can reshape it.
Thanks Woody. It's very subtle and almost looks like it was meant to be. I am going to order the factory lip for it ser# 996 505 986 00 and see what it looks like when installed.