Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #1

Rear glass not folding correctly

I have a 2004 Boxster S and just before winter I would put the top down and a few times it wouldn't close properly. As best I can tell the glass window is not sliding back far enough when going down and it stops the process from completing because it is wedged. Any idea why the top wouldn't fold correctly?

While parked I keep the top up - even in the garage (2 1.2 yrs) - but I don't think the original owner did. To get the top top work correctly I have had to start the close process and then adjust the rear window by pulling it up and back from the rear and that allows me to push the top down and forward the little bit it needs to go.

I would say it's probably getting caught up in the top of the fabric but there is no reason for that to have started now that I can think of. Has anyone had the same issue?

Old 03-15-2021, 03:51 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Did the original owner install glass where the plastic window should have gone? I'm thinking 3 bows for the plastic window... 4 bows for the glass... and maybe the original owner didn't mind that inconvenience.

Just guessing. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:20 PM   #3

If he has a 2004, it would have had the glass window and the 4-bow top as original equipment.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:29 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Can you post a couple pics of it at the point where it has the problem?
Old 03-16-2021, 05:31 AM   #5
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Wonder if the canvas is coming loose from the lower bow. Common issue, and could potentially cause the glass to be a bit out of alignment.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convertible , top binding