986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   While you're in there...HPDE track prep (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79840)

ike84 03-17-2021 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown (Post 632023)
Really living up to that renegade image

Hah! Touche stroked. The graco turbo booster in the passenger seat really adds to the charisma of screamer pipes lol

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

maytag 03-17-2021 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 632022)
Maytag is correct, you will cook almost any pads before boiling 600, unless its old and has a lot of moisture in it. I used 600 for a couple of years tracking and never had any issues. I would flush each year and bleed before every track weekend. 660 is good for more than just 1 weekend, at least 2 or 3.

Caveat here, that I've purchased 660 and have it on the shelf, but I haven't ever used it because everything I read steers me away from needing it.
The issue with 660 is that it has a lower] wet boiling point than the 600. (600 is 216°c, compared to 660's 205°c). Dry is higher, but wet is lower.
I already bleed the 600 before every track weekend, and flush a couple of times per season. Obviously this is required because of the hygroscopic nature of brake fluid. Heat cycling exacerbates this. So with a LOWER wet boiling point in the 660 I'll need to bleed & flush MORE frequently than I do with the 600.
I've only boiled 600 once (which is why I went to a more frequent bleed / flush interval). As long as that's the case, I don't know why I'd want to change to the 660, creating more work for myself :dance:

Of course YMMV.

JayG 03-17-2021 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 632033)
Caveat here, that I've purchased 660 and have it on the shelf, but I haven't ever used it because everything I read steers me away from needing it.
The issue with 660 is that it has a lower] wet boiling point than the 600. (600 is 216°c, compared to 660's 205°c). Dry is higher, but wet is lower.
I already bleed the 600 before every track weekend, and flush a couple of times per season. Obviously this is required because of the hygroscopic nature of brake fluid. Heat cycling exacerbates this. So with a LOWER wet boiling point in the 660 I'll need to bleed & flush MORE frequently than I do with the 600.
I've only boiled 600 once (which is why I went to a more frequent bleed / flush interval). As long as that's the case, I don't know why I'd want to change to the 660, creating more work for myself :dance:

Of course YMMV.

Yea, what he said :cheers:

DarrenD 03-17-2021 04:49 PM

That's great to know about the brake fluid guys, thanks. I haven't put the fresh 660 in yet, maybe I'll just go get some 600 and sell the 660. As for the EBC yellows, I'll try them and see. Maybe they'll be ok for the rear and I if they don't work for me up front I can go with something more aggressive.
This car is far from my daily driver and definitely not a dedicated track car. I did all the work "while I was in there" hoping to negate most of the Boxster's flaws and improve reliability. I plan to do maybe 15 track days this year, we'll see how that goes. Everything with a street car/DE car is a compromise and knowing the oiling issues with the Boxster I don't want to go to aggressive with any of my choices for the track. Tires will be a 300 treadwear street tire but I'll run a square 17 x 8.5" with a 245 or 255 all the way around. I'm hoping to run some Bilstein B8's on a more street oriented lowering spring. My days of looking for all out track performance are long gone. I love my Boxster, and tracking it just allows me to do with it what it does best. I don't want to break it so I'll just compromise a bit. Not ideal but if it makes for a reliable, trouble free track season I'll be happy.

DarrenD 03-24-2021 05:25 PM

I'm wondering what brand of rotor I should go with for track use? Is Zimmerman the only recommended or are there others with similar quality(or better)?

JayG 03-25-2021 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrenD (Post 632414)
I'm wondering what brand of rotor I should go with for track use? Is Zimmerman the only recommended or are there others with similar quality(or better)?

I have used Meyle rotors for years with several track seasons without any issues or problems. They are also far less $ than Zimmerman. Haven’t bought any in a while, that last ones I got IIRC were around $80 or $90 per axle (pair of rotors)

DarrenD 03-25-2021 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 632426)
I have used Meyle rotors for years with several track seasons without any issues or problems. They are also far less $ than Zimmerman. Haven’t bought any in a while, that last ones I got IIRC were around $80 or $90 per axle (pair of rotors)

Good to know Jay, thanks. I found a full set of Pagid rotors rotors for a great price at Rock auto. Thy claim to be made in Germany, anyone have any experience with them?

DarrenD 04-02-2021 05:52 PM

Hi Jay, I sent you a PM, but I couldn't attach a pic. The pads you sent me are not for a Boxster. The part # was correct, the pads are not.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1617414714.jpg

JayG 04-03-2021 05:56 AM

I don't know what to say, that how they were shipped to me. From the looks of the pads, I think they may be front pads and they were put in the wrong box. IIRC, I bought them either form Summit or Amazon

Is there a part number on the actual pad?

If you want, Ill refund you what you sent me

DarrenD 04-03-2021 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 632901)
I don't know what to say, that how they were shipped to me. From the looks of the pads, I think they may be front pads and they were put in the wrong box. IIRC, I bought them either form Summit or Amazon

Is there a part number on the actual pad?

If you want, Ill refund you what you sent me

Sadly, they're not even base front pads, Otherwise I'd keep them. I'm still trying to figure out what they're for...

*They're part #DP41514R which is for a 996 C2

husker boxster 04-03-2021 05:02 PM

I had that same thing happen with a set of Ferrodo's. Not sure why it happens but it does.

ike84 04-04-2021 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 632926)
I had that same thing happen with a set of Ferrodo's. Not sure why it happens but it does.

I've had the same thing happen with stuff from Amazon, it's getting more common lately.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

JayG 04-05-2021 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrenD (Post 632924)
Sadly, they're not even base front pads, Otherwise I'd keep them. I'm still trying to figure out what they're for...

*They're part #DP41514R which is for a 996 C2

They will fit a 986 S as well then. The brakes on a 986 S and a 996 C2 are the same