Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2021, 12:10 PM   #1

Oil Pressure Sensor

I believe my oil pressure sensor is leaking. Couldn't see it well from underneath, and not sure if I can get to from up top...
How tough is this to replace and from where would you get at it?
Thanks

I also have a slight leak, I think its coolant from the front passenger corner. Looks like its from the radiator but I cant see from where because of the shielding. It drips from above the shielding and then drips down the shielding.
Any opinions?
I know it could be a simple break in the hose, a bad connection, the obvious etc, but any other things known to go wrong up there?
Again thanks

Old 03-12-2021, 12:41 PM   #2

Garage
Passenger side top of valve cover close to bulkhead behind passenger seat . Not to hard to get at from the top.
gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:46 PM   #3

This photo of the Boxster engine compartment shows the oil pressure switch (green arrow) and its connector disconnected from the sender's spade terminal (yellow arrow). The inset photo shows the 996 oil pressure canister, which contains both a low-pressure switch and a variable oil pressure sensor that powers the module in the 996 gauge.

This is taken from a Pelican Parts tech article describing the installation of a 996 gauge cluster in a 986. The upgrade requires swapping in a 996 oil pressure sensor.

This link may help:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/90-ELEC-996_Cluster/90-ELEC-996_Cluster.htm
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:50 PM   #4

Hmmmm.....
Ill have to see it from the bottom to recognize it. lol
It looked different from underneath. Strange because I pulled the engine cover off last week and didnt see anything wet, then today looked underneath and I could see it easily way up there wet with oil. I ordered the 10 dollar part and Ill have another look when it comes in.
Is there anything tricky replacing it?
Im gonna have my tech check out the coolant leak from the front because its hard for me to get under there.
Thanks guys
Old 03-12-2021, 07:48 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
Hmmmm.....
Ill have to see it from the bottom to recognize it. lol
It looked different from underneath. Strange because I pulled the engine cover off last week and didnt see anything wet, then today looked underneath and I could see it easily way up there wet with oil. I ordered the 10 dollar part and Ill have another look when it comes in.
Is there anything tricky replacing it?
Im gonna have my tech check out the coolant leak from the front because its hard for me to get under there.
Thanks guys
Evo, is your leak coming from the right passenger side towards the front of the motor? I’m wondering if this is where my leak is coming from as well. I’ve changed all of the spark plug tubes twice, AOS and cleaned up the area many times. But still a leak comes while its sitting for a while, about one or two drops.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelepuls View Post
Evo, is your leak coming from the right passenger side towards the front of the motor? I’m wondering if this is where my leak is coming from as well. I’ve changed all of the spark plug tubes twice, AOS and cleaned up the area many times. But still a leak comes while its sitting for a while, about one or two drops.
Yes, but im not getting anything on my floor yet, just an oil burning smell sometimes when I come to a red light.
Once or twice a little white smoke out of the passenger side vent. The intake vent.
Popped the engine cover and everything looked dry. A week later (today) got it up on a lift and it "appears" to be coming from what I believe is the oil pressure sensor. Wet with oil but not dripping.
Take a drive and then have a look.
I would think this is going to leak more when driving it rather than while it is sitting.
It could be anything on these cars lol
Old 03-13-2021, 08:27 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
Yes, but im not getting anything on my floor yet, just an oil burning smell sometimes when I come to a red light.
Once or twice a little white smoke out of the passenger side vent. The intake vent.
Popped the engine cover and everything looked dry. A week later (today) got it up on a lift and it "appears" to be coming from what I believe is the oil pressure sensor. Wet with oil but not dripping.
Take a drive and then have a look.
I would think this is going to leak more when driving it rather than while it is sitting.
It could be anything on these cars lol
EVO, LOL, I truly don’t know, I don’t smell much oil burning when it is running, I’ve replaced every thing that could be leaking on the right side, this might be the last thing I haven’t checked for the source on the right side. I don’t truly know, but I will check this source and check it off the list of possible culprits. Thanks.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:58 PM   #8

never mind.....couldnt see it in the pics i posted

Last edited by evomind; 03-13-2021 at 09:00 PM.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #9

I think the circled area shows my oil leak....
This is looking from below the car up the passenger side.

Old 03-14-2021, 03:08 PM   #10

Get the top in service mode, take the engine cover off and verify from the top. Should only be a 20 minute to job to replace it.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:41 PM   #11

I have the part now, do I need any gasket seal or do I just remove the old one and tighten up the new one?
Thanks
Old 03-16-2021, 05:48 AM   #12

gasket seal? to replace an oil pressure sender? No, you just unscrew it and screw the new one back in.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:04 AM   #13
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
gasket seal? to replace an oil pressure sender? No, you just unscrew it and screw the new one back in.
Standby there..... I'm pretty sure there's a crush washer there.

Evomind, I'm sorry I'm late to this party, we may have failed you.

If the sensor is working, and simply leaking, then there really is no need to replace it. The sensor itself does not leak, or at least not often. More likely it could have simply been tightened. Or a new crush washer fitted.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:23 AM   #14

Ok, thanks.
Yes the new sensor came with a crush washer.
Sorry, in all my years with custom mods to factory performance cars and everything in between Ive never replaced an oil pressure sensor. lol
Back in college i did install an oil pressure gauge on my Z28 custom mounted on my custom hood.
The line broke and I had oil everywhere. lol
That was a long time ago.
Im going to replace the sensor and hopefully thats the problem.
Then Ill jack up the front, remove the shield and see if I can tell where the coolant is leaking from the front radiator on the passenger side.
Thanks guys
Old 03-16-2021, 03:59 PM   #15

Yep....
Had to buy an extension and a socket to make life easier but I replaced the sensor. Yes there was oil seeping from the bottom where its threaded and yes it seemed a little loose.
No biggie, the new part was cheap enough.
I wish everything was so easy to fix.
Hopefully thats that for awhile.
Tomorrow I have to remove the front under shield. Im sure Ill be buying the right tool for that as well.
Have to find the leak in the front.
When I moved last year the movers broke, damaged, and or stole everything including most of my tools.

Last edited by evomind; 03-16-2021 at 04:13 PM.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote