Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2021, 07:19 AM   #1

Will a “S” muffler fit on a non S 986

I’m getting a 2001 Boxster non S model and I’m going to be sending an muffler to fister to get it modified. I live in PA and they work out of CA. My plan was just to buy a muffler in California from a dismantler and just have it sent down the street to fister to get modded, can I use a “S” model muffler or does it have to be the same non S muffler. If I can use a S muffler what years would I be able to use. I don’t want to have 600$ spent on a S muffler that won’t fit or won’t work correctly (I heard pipe sizes were different which may lead to power decrease)

Escott1622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:26 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escott1622 View Post
I’m getting a 2001 Boxster non S model and I’m going to be sending an muffler to fister to get it modified. I live in PA and they work out of CA. My plan was just to buy a muffler in California from a dismantler and just have it sent down the street to fister to get modded, can I use a “S” model muffler or does it have to be the same non S muffler. If I can use a S muffler what years would I be able to use. I don’t want to have 600$ spent on a S muffler that won’t fit or won’t work correctly (I heard pipe sizes were different which may lead to power decrease)

That's right]
Old 02-19-2021, 08:31 AM   #3

The one thing I would keep in mind is that the tips on the facelift mufflers are removable, whereas the tips on the pre facelift cars (if I'm not mistaken) are welded on. So if you were to buy a facelift muffler with no tips (as they are sometimes sold since some dismantlers sell the tip separately), you wouldn't be able to simply unbolt your stock tips and swap them over.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
[/B]
That's right]
Would you suggest just getting a non S muffler then? Or does it matter since the muffler is getting modified(not sure what exactly they change). I would try to find one with the tips like the other guy said. There’s plenty more options if I choose a S muffler but if it’s gonna kill power then idk if it’s worth it to get nicer looking tips
Old 02-19-2021, 09:47 AM   #5

The S tips look way nicer and I’d really prefer to have that, not only if I don’t like the exhaust I can just sell it and resale for an S one would be higher. I don’t want to get into Messing with anything important. I tried looking around the forum and the few topics I found some said it’s fine others say not to. Are the pipe sizes different internally? If so I can contact fister and see if what they do to it will effect those
Old 02-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #6
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
S muffler up to 2002 will have the welded on tips. 2003 and after will have the removable tips. You want the welded tips. The fister mod runs tubes into the tips. I have a 98 base with a 2000 S muffler. It works fine. All the pipes are the same size. You might want to buy a used updated muffler bracket if your car doesn't already have one. I'm not sure of the year of your car. I'd imagine 2000 and later have the newer bracket. I was able to mount the muffler using the old and new bracket. I prefer the new bracket.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escott1622 View Post
Would you suggest just getting a non S muffler then? Or does it matter since the muffler is getting modified(not sure what exactly they change). I would try to find one with the tips like the other guy said. There’s plenty more options if I choose a S muffler but if it’s gonna kill power then idk if it’s worth it to get nicer looking tips
Unless you are installing a bigger engine you will slow the exhaust flow with bigger pipes. Porsche does alot of testing before settling on a part for production.

Have you ever squirted a garden hose? To make the water come out faster & farther you have to reduce the exit diameter with your thumb!

I have a stock muffler design on my 3.6 litre engine.

Last edited by BYprodriver; 02-19-2021 at 01:05 PM.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
S muffler up to 2002 will have the welded on tips. 2003 and after will have the removable tips. You want the welded tips. The fister mod runs tubes into the tips. I have a 98 base with a 2000 S muffler. It works fine. All the pipes are the same size. You might want to buy a used updated muffler bracket if your car doesn't already have one. I'm not sure of the year of your car. I'd imagine 2000 and later have the newer bracket. I was able to mount the muffler using the old and new bracket. I prefer the new bracket.
I have a 2001 and if fister welds the pipes inside would that defeat the argument about different size pipes with the s vs non s
Old 02-19-2021, 01:51 PM   #9
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I have a 98 base. The entering pipe sizes on the S muffler are the same size. I'm not sure where the other guys commenting on this thread are getting that they have different size pipes. I felt no loss of power when I put on the S muffler either.

I actually did the internal exhaust mod on my S muffler. Still no loss of power and way more sound. The internal mod is basically the same mod as the fister only there are no external pipes. My friend had the fister mod done. Our exhausts sound about the same. His cost was whatever fister charges plus shipping back and fourth from NY to Cal. My cost was the price of some drill bits. I was able to weld mine back together at work. If you can't do that i'd think a muffler shop could do it for under $100.

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/70112-internal-exhaust-mod.html

The mod is in the link above.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #10
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
The entering pipes on the S muffler with removable tips may be larger. I am only talking about the S muffler with the welded on tips. The welded tips muffler will bolt right up with no problem, same size entering pipes, no loss of back pressure, but with better looking twin exhaust tips.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:07 PM   #11

Fister said kinda the same thing that it should be interchangeable. I ended up actually just buying a muffler from a dismantler that’s an S muffler and it’s right down the street from them. I only have to pay shipping one way. If it’s too loud I’ll just sell it since I’ll have my stock muffler too
Old 02-19-2021, 02:49 PM   #12
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
It won't be too loud. It will sound great. If you decide you don't like it you should have no problem selling it.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
It won't be too loud. It will sound great. If you decide you don't like it you should have no problem selling it.
I was planning on adjusting the output with the cat bypass pipes, If I want it alittle quieter I’ll have the stock cats on and deal with the drone but I imagine I’ll use the pipes. Would you suggest circuit werks? They are 160$ just not instock currently