Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2021, 08:20 AM   #1

Tiptronic- Won’t go into Park, Reverse Flashing

Hi All

I went to check out a car last night, and it drove beautifully. It was a 98 with tip and 81k miles. When I put it in park, there was some resistance to get into park, and I just saw the reverse light blinking.

Car did not move when in “park” even though it was blinking reverse but key would not come out either. Put it in neutral key came out, but would not go back into park when restarted. Eventually some fidgeting got it into park, so leads me to believe something happened within the gear shifter or the linkage (which I read about) but honestly couldn’t figure it out and wanted to reach out for help first.

Needless to say, did not buy the car. However is this a big issue? I loved the car and it really did drive nice. My next step would be a proper PPI, but if it needs new linkage or something more serious with the transmission it would be a deal killer.

Hoping for the best, please let me know your thoughts on this

solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:52 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I'll take a stab...

Check the linkage where it connects to the rear of the transmission. Maybe something got wonky... a loose connection that causes it to be a challenge to get into park, or any gear. I believe there is a sensor so asociated that would "tell" the ignition that it isn't in park, thus the effort.

Pros?
Old 02-17-2021, 07:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I'll take a stab...

Check the linkage where it connects to the rear of the transmission. Maybe something got wonky... a loose connection that causes it to be a challenge to get into park, or any gear. I believe there is a sensor so asociated that would "tell" the ignition that it isn't in park, thus the effort.

Pros?
Thank you- Seller thinks it is this as well. He mentioned he got the car got detailed so might be they cleaned it a bit too harshly and got some gunk/cleaning solution inside of the shift mechanism?

When we were trying to fix it the top button literally popped off so maybe it needs a good cleaning, or spring/other part replacement. But to be honest, I was not willing to take that chance, especially since the seller did not lower the price based on this.

I asked him to get it checked out, and if it's nothing serious I will still buy it. Fingers crossed!
Old 02-18-2021, 03:29 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
Thank you- Seller thinks it is this as well. He mentioned he got the car got detailed so might be they cleaned it a bit too harshly and got some gunk/cleaning solution inside of the shift mechanism?

When we were trying to fix it the top button literally popped off so maybe it needs a good cleaning, or spring/other part replacement. But to be honest, I was not willing to take that chance, especially since the seller did not lower the price based on this.

I asked him to get it checked out, and if it's nothing serious I will still buy it. Fingers crossed!
I've had my hands on that rear linkage and nothing gives me the impression that gunk or solution would do much harm. Maybe check the linkage at the shifter... pull some things apart.

Yeah... if the seller isn't willling to discount the asking price based upon what could be a serious anamoly... walk. However, maybe his price (along with a properly conducted PPI) suggests that the dollars saved outweigh what could be a simple (relatively speaking) repair.

As other upon these pages would say... there'll be more 986s for sale and you should wait for the "right" one.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:51 AM   #5

Quote:
I've had my hands on that rear linkage and nothing gives me the impression that gunk or solution would do much harm. Maybe check the linkage at the shifter... pull some things apart.

Yeah... if the seller isn't willling to discount the asking price based upon what could be a serious anamoly... walk. However, maybe his price (along with a properly conducted PPI) suggests that the dollars saved outweigh what could be a simple (relatively speaking) repair.

As other upon these pages would say... there'll be more 986s for sale and you should wait for the "right" one.

I hear ya. The shifter literally fell apart when I tried pulling the button up so maybe it is that? Either way he is getting it fixed

Saw another thread on a different forum and the repair is about 5 hours of labor plus the part for $3-400. So not a bill I would be happy with to get started!!
Old 02-18-2021, 06:54 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
I hear ya. The shifter literally fell apart when I tried pulling the button up so maybe it is that? Either way he is getting it fixed

Saw another thread on a different forum and the repair is about 5 hours of labor plus the part for $3-400. So not a bill I would be happy with to get started!!
I would recommend spending some cash on tools. Do the "math" on replacing an AOS... motor mount... starter... considering your technical/mechanical skills... and see if you could replace those items (parts only) and taking the saved labor charge ($$$) for a respective repair/maintenance... and start collecting tools. Get the manuals... watch the Youtube vids... research, prepare, and launch.

Honestly, I couldn't afford my 986 if I was unable to maintain and repair it (aside from engine/tranny work.)

This forum has proved invaluable (Actually, quite valuable for I'm certain I've saved over $10K in labor costs for the work/maintenance I've performed.) To every member I owe a debt of gratitude.

Pic of the ride?
Old 02-21-2021, 07:33 AM   #7

Quote:

Ended up being the linkage needed some lubricant, now it shifts perfectly into park :dance::dance:
Old 02-21-2021, 12:26 PM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Ended up being the linkage needed some lubricant, now it shifts perfectly into park :dance::dance:
Glad to hear it, and good for you!!
Old 02-21-2021, 12:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Glad to hear it, and good for you!!
Not so great!

As the seller picked it up, I needed to set up a time to meet for this evening. He had a local buyer and after a miscommunication the car sold.

Oh well! I am sure there are many more out there......