Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2021, 11:53 AM   #1

Garage
Anyone traded up from a 986 to a 996?

Just wondering if anyone as made the move from a 986 to a 996 and have any regrets. I love my car, a 2000 986S and am thinking of making the move. It's not for more power or prestige or anything, but simply to gain back seats. My son is currently 15 months old and we are working on giving him a sibling. As it is, my time is limited that I get to spend in the car due to the fact I cannot take him with me, as well as I cannot take my wife in the car as she is watching our son if I'm not. Basically want to enjoy the car with my family, which is the reason for thinking of this move. I know the back seats are small but have spoken to many who do have their kids in the back and thoroughly enjoy it. I know the Boxster is said to be a better drivers car, and I don't doubt it, but I don't track the car and just enjoy nice, fun leisurely drives. So wondering if others have made the move for whatever reasom, what their thoughts are after making the jump.

Have a Stage 1 Audi S6
Have a Nissan Pathfinder
Have a 986
Do not need another family hauler, just contemplating moving from 986 to 996 to allow me to take family with me on my nice weather drives when I wish to.

Last edited by Goldenzrule; 02-17-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Goldenzrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:31 PM   #2

I’ll bite. I’ve owned two 986s (2.5l and 3.2l S) and a ‘95 993 coupe. I haven’t owned a 996. I’m also a newer father with a son now roughly 2.5l and a second child on the way. I sold the 993 before my son was here, so I cannot offer insight on specific backseat space in a 911 and best car seats, etc.

What I can say is this:

I’ve set my current 986 S up with the OEM airbag deactivation bar and a modern forward facing car seat (on occasion) and my son loves every second of seat time. So for starters 986s can be fun for dads and kids, just study up on the safety features and best practices and don’t get carried away driving when the little one is there too.

While the 911 (whatever the generation is) usually has back seats, they are cramped! The low roofline coupled with having to slide the front seats forward to get in there certainly strike me as not a very fun “family car” setup. You’re also losing cargo space (relative to 986) and trading it for that cabin space.

Never underestimate the amount of gear that you have to now haul with you thanks to one or two little ones coming with (stroller, diaper bag, snacks, drink cups, favorite stuffed animals, extra clothing, etc...). While the 996 has the extra seats, I suspect it will be a stretch to accommodate a family of four for any trip that isn’t just an hour or two on the road.

There’s a reason my SUVs are so damn popular... they haul stuff well. Ultimately I found a great deal on a low mileage Audi Q5 TDI 3.0 that’s now my wife’s car. She loves it because it is safe, luxurious, and functional. I can tolerate driving it relative to most family haulers. When it isn’t a full family affair, I can still sneak out in my 986 (with or without my son) and have some fun! I suspect there will be many more chances for said father-son time in the future when my wife has a new baby to feed and tend to. Just having a sure fire way to convince the toddler to leave the house (“vroom vroom!”) is valuable enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spyder_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:48 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder_Man View Post
I’ll bite. I’ve owned two 986s (2.5l and 3.2l S) and a ‘95 993 coupe. I haven’t owned a 996. I’m also a newer father with a son now roughly 2.5l and a second child on the way. I sold the 993 before my son was here, so I cannot offer insight on specific backseat space in a 911 and best car seats, etc.

What I can say is this:

I’ve set my current 986 S up with the OEM airbag deactivation bar and a modern forward facing car seat (on occasion) and my son loves every second of seat time. So for starters 986s can be fun for dads and kids, just study up on the safety features and best practices and don’t get carried away driving when the little one is there too.

While the 911 (whatever the generation is) usually has back seats, they are cramped! The low roofline coupled with having to slide the front seats forward to get in there certainly strike me as not a very fun “family car” setup. You’re also losing cargo space (relative to 986) and trading it for that cabin space.

Never underestimate the amount of gear that you have to now haul with you thanks to one or two little ones coming with (stroller, diaper bag, snacks, drink cups, favorite stuffed animals, extra clothing, etc...). While the 996 has the extra seats, I suspect it will be a stretch to accommodate a family of four for any trip that isn’t just an hour or two on the road.

There’s a reason my SUVs are so damn popular... they haul stuff well. Ultimately I found a great deal on a low mileage Audi Q5 TDI 3.0 that’s now my wife’s car. She loves it because it is safe, luxurious, and functional. I can tolerate driving it relative to most family haulers. When it isn’t a full family affair, I can still sneak out in my 986 (with or without my son) and have some fun! I suspect there will be many more chances for said father-son time in the future when my wife has a new baby to feed and tend to. Just having a sure fire way to convince the toddler to leave the house (“vroom vroom!”) is valuable enough.

Thanks for the response. As I mentioned, I've spoken to a few folks who have 996s and run with baby seats in them. You can remove the seat bottoms and I believe backs to create more space. Kids are comfortable. My wife is fairly short so she is fine with the front seat pushed up a bit. I'm not looking to take long road trips, but drives around here and down to visit family roughly 50 minutes away, as an example. My wife will not allow my son in a 2 seater, and I can't say I blame her, as everything out there makes you believe a kid will die if in the front. I know that is not true but don't want the car to cause unnecessary stress. Plus, as I said I want my family to come along and not just my son. Loss of the rear truck will result in a little more careful planning, but it's so small and gets so hot, I don't use it much as is and would likely still plan on the frunk only. As far as head room, I'd be looking for a Cab since I'd be giving up a roadster. We already have a suv, plus my S6, so for anything where we need more space, we can just take one of them. But as it stands now, the Boxster is an "only me" car which is limiting my use of it.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:17 PM   #4

Sounds like your thinking it through carefully. And minimizing spousal stress is ever important.

I’d suggest you go find a 996 cab to test drive and see that you think. Even better if you have a buddy with one who will let you really stretch it’s legs more than some nervous seller. I’d look for a 4S cab if I were in your shoes for those extra wide hips. My father has a 964 cab and it’s a great car. I definitely missed the top down experience while owning my 993 coupe (which is a significant part of how I ended up back in a 986).

Spyder_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:32 PM   #5

Have you considered a Macan or Cayenne ? I am being serious . They are sporty and designed to carry 4-5 people . The back seat area of a 911/996/997 are cramped and uncomfortable . Good luck with whatever you choose .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:55 PM   #6

Garage
Keep the Porche and get a sedan (for family errands); use the Porche as a recreational vehicle
Old 02-11-2021, 06:00 PM   #7

Garage
I have a stage 1 S6. We have a Pathfinder. I don't need another of either. I am not looking for recommendations for anything else. I love my car, and simply wish to enjoy it with my family. The 996 is the answer to that. As I mentioned, I've spoken to others that have 996s and use them with their families happily. Some with very young children and some even in to teenage years. All of them love that they can share it and have no issues with using the car as such. My question is simply for those that have gone from a 986 to a 996, and can speak to your enjoyment of the cars and how they differ from a driving experience.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:31 AM   #8

I have no kids (that I know of) and have only had 1 911 as a Wheeler Dealer car, but I'd like to add my perspective. As similar as they are, a 996 and 986 are different animals. A 996 is more of a GT cruiser while the 986 feels more 'athletic'. Granted, we're talking degrees of difference between the two, but you'll know they're different cars when you drive them. Obviously you're looking to change for reasons other than 'the experience', but be aware the 996 has different characteristics than the 986.

I would suggest not poo-pooing the Macan suggestion without trying one. They're kind of a tall 986 in abilities. Our club hosts a club race at a track that's a 3 hr drive from OMA. 2 yrs ago I wasn't going to do the DE portion of the event so I was tasked with driving the pace car to the track. It was a Macan GTS. Sun morning there was a DE session that was empty, so I was given the opportunity to take the GTS out for a few laps. I was really impressed. Granted, I wasn't running her hard but even at the speeds I was going she was fun. The 2 enduro races were still on the docket, so there's no way I was going to run hard and wreck the pace car. I pulled into the pits and the Chief Steward asked if he could go for a ride for a couple of laps (I was Asst Chief Steward - basically his flunky). Then he invited the Chief Scrutineer to ride along too. Once again, I drove slightly spirited but not wild. The Steward asks me if I had it floored on the straight. I said no, my goal was to 1) not wreck the pace car and 2) not kill the Chief Steward, in that order. But I came away from the experience with a lot of respect for the Macan's abilities.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 02-12-2021 at 05:34 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
I said no, my goal was to 1) not wreck the pace car and 2) not kill the Chief Steward, in that order.
Your club needs to develop a "designated survivor" policy. The Chief Steward and the Assistant Chief Steward should never be in the same vehicle together. If you had both been killed or injured in the same accident, the event would have been delayed for at least 30 minutes while they found a substitute. (Provided of course that they could identify an alternate pace car.)

But, I digress. I faced a similar dilemma to that of Goldenzrule when my daughter was younger. At that time I had a Miata. I think that being able to share the Porsche non-SUV experience with the entire family at the same time is worth the trade offs of acquiring a 996.

When I was a teenager, I sat in the back of a 1966 912 during a (mercifully) short trip. By comparison, the rear seats of a 996 look like they would be relatively hospitable to small children.

One of my co-workers switched from a 986 to a 996 because his wife wanted a car with a tiptronic. His comments on the subject are similar to most of the other posters. If Goldenzrule goes into to the 996 experience with expectations aligned with the comments in this thread, he won't be disappointed.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Your club needs to develop a "designated survivor" policy. The Chief Steward and the Assistant Chief Steward should never be in the same vehicle together. If you had both been killed or injured in the same accident, the event would have been delayed for at least 30 minutes while they found a substitute. (Provided of course that they could identify an alternate pace car.)
Ha, ha, ha, Kevin you made my morning, thanks!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Your club needs to develop a "designated survivor" policy.
Thanks Kevin. We're working out the details of our upcoming May Club Race so I'll be sure we have a succession list for both personnel and pace cars.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:24 PM   #12

Garage
Sorry, didn't read anything past Macan. I have now said twice what I am looking for, will be keeping a convertible fun car one way or the other. Please stop trying to talk me into something I clearly do not want or need. If you have some real world experience and perspective from switching from a 986 to a 996, I am happy to read and listen, otherwise, it is wasting your time typing. Sorry, I am trying to be nice but I don't understand why people cannot stay on topic and discuss the specifics I am asking about and not try and throw something I have ZERO interest in, nor need.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:22 AM   #13
Seal1968

When I bought my 986S I was actually shopping for a 996.

I got so worked up after reading all of the horror stories of the engines that I decided to dip my foot in the pool and buy the Boxster S as a starter.

The purchase price of my car was $14K CAN versus @ $25K for a decent 996. It already had a new short block engine installed, so the risks were minimized in my mind. My wife said my "thifty gene" took over lol - but I had those extra funds left over from my P-car budget "just in case".

At times I think I settled and should have went for what I really wanted.

What I want to say is, DON'T SETTLE. Get what you want.

Don't get me wrong, the Boxster has really grown on me, but its simply not a 996/997 is it?

That'll be my next P-car, no doubt.

Go for it good sir!
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:23 AM   #14

I know you don't want to hear this and it really does not address your question fully but after having 4 kiddos I suggest you just get a family hauler. Yes you can get a car seat in the back of a 996 or most any GT cars but it will be no time before their feet are pretzeled up. Putting them in with the car seat backwards as they do now is a disaster as well.

I have done this dance over and over and for me at least, all it did was build disappointment. I would buy some cool GT car then in less than a year it would become apparent that hauling the kids was an epic pain. I would sell the car but buy something appropriate for the task and subsequently just get board. Buy another GT car, rinse and repeat.

Finally I just set my sights on cool 4 door sedans. All the Germans make a cool sports sedans these days and its a good mix of easily getting the kids in the back and still having fun driving. An Audi S4 with a good set of tires and a tune is a lot of fun.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Sikest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:00 AM   #15

I have a 986, a wife, and 2 kids with a third on the way (not in that order).

As far as the 986 goes, I LOVE driving it by myself like a bat out of hell, my wife loves riding along for a back roads joy ride, and when my oldest son turned 2 (granted he's a big kid) we turned off the airbags, put his booster seat in the front and started going on drives together. He's not a huge fan of the top down (I wouldn't imaging many young kids would enjoy that experience) but does enjoy it. With that being said, he does not love riding in it. The only way to get the kids to love a car ride is to put a tv in there for them, and this is not the car for that.

I have a good friend who had a 996 cabriolet, black on black, beautiful car. He got it for the same reason you said - weekend drives with the wife in shotgun and the kids in the back. When he didn't have the kids, the back seat carted around his golf clubs. He enjoyed the car but he did not buy it because he loves to drive it (the way that most of us 986ers do their car). He drove it like a puss and loved that everyone talked about his porsche. I drove that car before he sold it (thinking too that I wanted to move up since the fam was getting bigger) but the prior comments are spot on - these cars are not the same. The 996 is a tourer, and it's a fantastic one at that, but it is remarkably different in feel from a 986. I passed on that car.

So, in summary, I kept my 986 because of what it is. It wasn't worth giving it up so that occasionally the family could ride along, at least not when they don't love it like I do. Our family car is an escalade for that reason, and everyone is always happy at the end of a ride in that big girl.

On a side note, it's worth mentioning that those back seats did not have the hard.mounted clips between the seats and back. You know, the ones that are mandatory on current cars because of how safe they are. So, there's not much difference there between the back seat of a 996 and the front seat of my 986. I personally think the only reason those seats are there is because it would otherwise be empty space unless they substantially shortening the wheelbase, compromising handling doing so (as evidenced with the gt2 and 3, where they just left em out altogether)

Lastly, speaking of back seats, (OP, stop reading here please) I will add a quick blip about the Cayenne. They're a joke. We looked at them when my wife wanted to trade up from her rav4 and there's no difference between those backseats. Same for the audi q6. We needed a stick of butter and a prybar to get me out of that thing, and forget about crawling back there to change a kids diaper while on a road trip! From a performance standpoint that thing is a beast (especially the turbo s, holy hell) but it is not a family suv. I generally despise GM vehicles, but there is no beating the middle row of an escalade lol.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2021, 09:14 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikest View Post
I know you don't want to hear this and it really does not address your question fully but after having 4 kiddos I suggest you just get a family hauler. Yes you can get a car seat in the back of a 996 or most any GT cars but it will be no time before their feet are pretzeled up. Putting them in with the car seat backwards as they do now is a disaster as well.

I have done this dance over and over and for me at least, all it did was build disappointment. I would buy some cool GT car then in less than a year it would become apparent that hauling the kids was an epic pain. I would sell the car but buy something appropriate for the task and subsequently just get board. Buy another GT car, rinse and repeat.

Finally I just set my sights on cool 4 door sedans. All the Germans make a cool sports sedans these days and its a good mix of easily getting the kids in the back and still having fun driving. An Audi S4 with a good set of tires and a tune is a lot of fun.

Just my 2 cents worth.
As I said, I have a stage 1 S6, no need for another car, SUV or anything else for hauling the kid. I simply want to take my family in my fun car with me to enjoy nice sunny weather and nice New England fall weather.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #17

Garage
For what it's worth..

I have tried to switch between my 986s and a 997 carrera4 on twisty roads. To my surprise and disappointment the 997 was not nearly as fun, maybe a cab would have given another impression. I'd say, keep the 986 and buy a 996!
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post

Lastly, speaking of back seats, (OP, stop reading here please) I will add a quick blip about the Cayenne. They're a joke. We looked at them when my wife wanted to trade up from her rav4 and there's no difference between those backseats. Same for the audi q6. We needed a stick of butter and a prybar to get me out of that thing, and forget about crawling back there to change a kids diaper while on a road trip! From a performance standpoint that thing is a beast (especially the turbo s, holy hell) but it is not a family suv. I generally despise GM vehicles, but there is no beating the middle row of an escalade lol.
Huh? I've been in the back of my 2011 cayenne on several occasions and there is plenty of room. Its not an escalade, but well, duh. Its easily got enough room for 2 kids and the associated gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenzrule View Post
As I said, I have a stage 1 S6, no need for another car, SUV or anything else for hauling the kid. I simply want to take my family in my fun car with me to enjoy nice sunny weather and nice New England fall weather.
so you asked the question, people tell you the 996 is not great for what you want to use it for, but you seemingly have already decided.

sooo...just go buy a 996 then. Not sure why you asked the question if you didn't want the answers.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:31 PM   #19
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenzrule View Post
Sorry, didn't read anything past Macan. I have now said twice what I am looking for, will be keeping a convertible fun car one way or the other. Please stop trying to talk me into something I clearly do not want or need. If you have some real world experience and perspective from switching from a 986 to a 996, I am happy to read and listen, otherwise, it is wasting your time typing. Sorry, I am trying to be nice but I don't understand why people cannot stay on topic and discuss the specifics I am asking about and not try and throw something I have ZERO interest in, nor need.
Yo, lighten up dude. It's just a few words to read.

If you ask a question here, expect people to give you the best answer they know. Take it or leave it, that's your option.

I have both a 986 and a 996. Its more of a lateral move than a trade up. More power, but the 986 handles better and is ore fun to drive

The 996 cab will give you the option to have a rug rat in the back seat and the wife in the front. The back seat is not a good option for a full sized person

The best performance option with a family is a Macan. Get rid of the POS Pathfinder and get a Macan or even a Cayenne Its also a lot safer with a child seat than a ragtop. I know you don't want to hear that, TFB. A Macan will outperform most sports cars. In know several people that track them and are competitive.

YMMV
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 02-17-2021 at 12:33 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:12 PM   #20

Garage
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
Huh? I've been in the back of my 2011 cayenne on several occasions and there is plenty of room. Its not an escalade, but well, duh. Its easily got enough room for 2 kids and the associated gear.

so you asked the question, people tell you the 996 is not great for what you want to use it for, but you seemingly have already decided.

sooo...just go buy a 996 then. Not sure why you asked the question if you didn't want the answers.
No, I didn't ask anyone if the 996 is a great kid hauler, which is what everyone seems to focus on. I asked if anyone traded from a 986 to a 996, and their thoughts on that. I have what I need for normal family hauling. It's covered. I have a small convertible sports car that only I can enjoy. I don't track it, I don't drive it at it's limits. I enjoy fun runs, some twisty roads, but not to the point that it's going to be a huge difference between the two. I've driven 911s, but not 996s. Either way, I want to hear from people that specificay trade from a 986 to a 996 to hear their thoughts on the differences, not people telling me a need an SUV. I don't. I have one. Or a need a sport sedan. I don't, I have one. All I want is opinions from anyone that has had both cars and can give me some real world opinions on the differences and how they worked for them in some real world applications. My mind is not made up yet, but I know I don't need to get something I don't need simply cause someone else is saying that is what I need. I will either stick with my 986 or trade it for a 996. People seem to think going from a 986 to a 996 is like stepping from a go cart into a 78 town car. That's just not the case (at least not with the 991s I've driven and others I've talked to that owned 996s)