Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
I bought 2 cans, looks like a match but both cans were defective because of a recall they had several years ago. The seller woudnt replace the cans, but did refund my money, so make sure you dont get any old cans.
Thanks for the compliment. I've gone green temporary.

Looks AMAZING! What are those headlights?

solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidelli17 View Post

That's a wrap? Very nice ...
Yes it is. Thanks
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
Looks AMAZING! What are those headlights?
Made from a kit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5uAy3hwdc0Y
Old 02-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #24

My hardtop in box, awaiting shipment! Will do 914Rubber replacement of climate control LCD screen while waiting.

morbidelli17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:44 PM   #25

So I wanna hear more about how you purchased this top new...

Like you just strait up bought it with a credit or debit card or Paypal off of aliexpress?

And they ship to an airport hub I'd assume... How do you go about picking it up? Can you just drive to one of their airports and get it with a pickup truck?

My wife is pretty jealous of my car right now and I don't want her putting my "special" car in a ditch... So I might be picking up another 986 and slapping Ztop on it. A source for a new Z top would be cool even if it costs almost $3k.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:45 PM   #26

Just called my bank and told them I was going to be making a international purchase. Then did the order via card. I went with sea shipping because it was cheap. I assume they'll ship it to my door, as they've done on all the other stuff I've bought from sellers in China. This is big, but it's not like it's orders of magnitude larger than a box with the full set of motorcycle road race bodywork. Bought a fair amount of motorcycle bodywork from China over the years, all of it just ends up on the front porch ...

We'll see what happens. It'll probably fall off the ship and just spend eternity floating in the Pacific ...
Old 03-10-2021, 05:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Once you get it you'll see what I mean. The fiberglass on the middle of the roof and hatch is not thick, double walled but thin. I think cutting a big hole would effect the structure integrity. They flex some anyway without a hole. If you need anything once you get it just let me know.
So it's allegedly gonna be here sometime between two and six weeks from now. Two questions:

- I think you'd suggested getting new trunk brackets and having the new set permanently attached to the hardtop. Would you suggest also getting a new trunk latch?

- Did you actually pull the brake light from your trunk lid, or did you buy a different "third eye" brake light? If so, what did you use?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2021, 06:05 PM   #28

Quote:
So it's allegedly gonna be here sometime between two and six weeks from now. Two questions:

- I think you'd suggested getting new trunk brackets and having the new set permanently attached to the hardtop. Would you suggest also getting a new trunk latch?

- Did you actually pull the brake light from your trunk lid, or did you buy a different "third eye" brake light? If so, what did you use?

Thanks!
Dunno about the trunk brackets. Like the latch that closes the trunk? I think they come with the kit.

I think the high mount brake light comes with the top. I got mine and the third brake light was inop. So I just bought a motorcycle red LED brake light and stuck it in the place behind the glass for the high mount light.
Attached Images

Last edited by Qingdao; 03-10-2021 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:19 PM   #29

Quote:

Thanks!
I bought an extra set of hinges and a second trunk latch just to leave on my top. Make switching and adjusting it easier. The 3rd brake light that comes with the top is a cheapo $10 light. I bought an led strip brake light to go across the top of the window.

Last edited by JBauer; 03-10-2021 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:52 AM   #30

I got a phone call yesterday, fortunately, between sessions at a motorcycle track day. Look what showed up on the front porch!
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #31

Inside the box was ...
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2021, 09:57 AM   #32

It was a bit nerve-wracking. The Aliexpress store that I used shut down immediately after I placed the order, and allegedly moved all of its listings to a different site. Then they uploaded the wrong tracking info. I'm a former investigative journalist, so I was able to actually figure out what my tracking number was linked to - and it turned out to be a bumper that was shipped to some dude in Texas.

Several tense messages ensued.

But in the end, all is absolutely as promised and on schedule.

Next step is to decide whether to install myself or take it to my body shop. My wife is willing to pitch in for the body shop route, as it involves her NOT helping ...
Old 04-06-2021, 04:13 PM   #33

Quote:
It was a bit nerve-wracking. The Aliexpress store that I used shut down immediately after I placed the order, and allegedly moved all of its listings to a different site. Then they uploaded the wrong tracking info. I'm a former investigative journalist, so I was able to actually figure out what my tracking number was linked to - and it turned out to be a bumper that was shipped to some dude in Texas.

Next step is to decide whether to install myself or take it to my body shop. My wife is willing to pitch in for the body shop route, as it involves her NOT helping ...

Damn, so its not on Aliexpress anymore?

Its probably for the best. I know a guy who does carbon fiber bagging (like he makes boats). And I might be able to convince him to make a CF version of this top.

Any interests on here for a CF z top? No glass or seals, but the solid parts would be there.

Old 04-06-2021, 04:22 PM   #34

Quote:
It was a bit nerve-wracking. The Aliexpress store that I used shut down immediately after I placed the order, and allegedly moved all of its listings to a different site.
Hows it fit out of the box? I heard they fit better now.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:53 PM   #35

Quindao, I honestly don't know. The link JBauer posted still seems to work:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32848970530.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

... but I think it would be cool if your friend made at least the molds for the hard parts. I'm afraid that this is an artifact that has a potential client base that is getting smaller with each passing year, and once it is gone, it likely never will be re-created. I honestly wonder if I got the very last one - the seller wanted to be sure of the year of my car before shipping.

JB, don't know yet. Will order some hinges and a latch tonight, so I don't have to re-align panels every time I switch. I plan to test-fit next week. I can tell you it's a lot more solid than I had hoped for. And I see what you meant about the gap between the double layers of fiberglass. Will have to talk to my fiberglass guy about options for a moonroof, to see if it's even possible.

Will keep you updated!

Last edited by morbidelli17; 04-06-2021 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:13 AM   #36

Man, you have patience. I was so excited I immediately had mine sitting on just to see what I was up against. 😁

Old 04-07-2021, 07:08 AM   #37

Garage
These threads make me want to order one. Just trying to justify the cost of everything
CharlesE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:43 AM   #38

Quote:
Man, you have patience. I was so excited I immediately had mine sitting on just to see what I was up against. ��]
It helps if you're totally swamped at work. I'm busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest. :ah:

But believe me, I can't wait to hook this up. I love the convertible, but damn, this car with this hardtop is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen on four wheels.

BTW, my local Porsche indie is a longtime Porsche racer. He bought one of these tops when they were being made in South Africa. Stuck it on his Boxster racer. First thing he did was cut out the entire lower layer of fiberglass, leaving only the outer shell, to reduce weight. No problems with rigidity.

Last edited by morbidelli17; 04-07-2021 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:44 AM   #39

Quote:

Would you order from them again? Because I am about to order one from them but I am extremely nervous for obvious reasons! Would it be best if I pay through PayPal?
Joeyutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #40

Quote:
I'm busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest. :ah:
DUDE I'm dying here. I'm totally stealing this saying. LOL