Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2021, 07:23 AM   #1

Speedster Humps

Greetings,

I'm interested in tracking down a set of OEM Speedster humps for my '98, but have a question for those that have them. Do they mar/scratch the paint when installed?

Thanks!

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:20 AM   #2

I have several sets in different colors for my different cars.

They're pretty simple. You need to have the camlocks installed (like for the hard top). You'll most likely have to remove the center clear windscreen between the seats to attach the velcro straps to the rollbar so they don't try to lift up off the car. They'll fit in the rear trunk, but they'll pretty well fill it full so you can't carry anything else like luggage.

They have a rubber strip installed along the edge where it sits on the car. I've never had problem with them scuffing or marring the paint.

Trying to find Ocean Jade Metallic (as you know) will be impossible. Try finding a used set off eBay and get them painted, or alternatively, get a new set of the aftermarket ones off eBay. I bought a (used but new) aftermarket set from Maytag a few weeks ago when he was parting his S car. They're made from molded plastic of some type instead of fiberglass, but the fit is the same, as is the quality. I'm going to have my paint/body guy shoot them for my Ocean Jade Metallic '99 along with a hard top I have ratholed away.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #3
WALDMEISTER

Garage
No they dont scratch the paint.
They are sitting with a few tiny touchpoints on the blackened outer rim of the clamshell.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:45 PM   #4

Garage
Looking for a set, too.

I see Suncoast has unpainted ones for $1000.

Maybe these don't come up used that often.
litesonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesonic View Post
Looking for a set, too.

I see Suncoast has unpainted ones for $1000.

Maybe these don't come up used that often.
It's very seldom you'll see a pair for sale. I've bought a couple of used sets off eBay over the years and two or three sets off the boards here. Ussually it's when someone is selling their car and they know they can sell the humps seperate and make a few extra dollars.

The last used factory set I saw was a Guards Red set on eBay a couple of months ago. He wanted $700 and they didn't last very long.

Like hard tops, they're getting harder to find and more expensive.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:43 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
I have several sets in different colors for my different cars.

They're pretty simple. You need to have the camlocks installed (like for the hard top). You'll most likely have to remove the center clear windscreen between the seats to attach the velcro straps to the rollbar so they don't try to lift up off the car. They'll fit in the rear trunk, but they'll pretty well fill it full so you can't carry anything else like luggage.

They have a rubber strip installed along the edge where it sits on the car. I've never had problem with them scuffing or marring the paint.

Trying to find Ocean Jade Metallic (as you know) will be impossible. Try finding a used set off eBay and get them painted, or alternatively, get a new set of the aftermarket ones off eBay. I bought a (used but new) aftermarket set from Maytag a few weeks ago when he was parting his S car. They're made from molded plastic of some type instead of fiberglass, but the fit is the same, as is the quality. I'm going to have my paint/body guy shoot them for my Ocean Jade Metallic '99 along with a hard top I have ratholed away.
Mine are factory and there is a little marking of the paint from them.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:09 AM   #7

Thanks gang...I'm also looking for a hard top, but know full well I'll never find them in Ocean Jade.

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote