Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2021, 09:55 AM   #1

FSI 3.8L Street Performer Plus build is awesome

Jake and his FSI team just transformed my 2004 Boxster 550SE with the rebuild of my 112k mile 3.2L into a 3.8L Street Performer Plus engine. The transformation is amazing and words can’t really describe the performance of the new engine. In addition, the knowledge that all known M96 failure modes have been addressed in the build brings tremendous peace of mind. The round trip shipping arranged by FSI went perfectly and FSI apparently realigned and lubed my top and clamshell because top operation and clamshell alignment has never been this good.

Bottom line, an expert job by consummate professionals. Stunning work which will be greatly appreciated for many years and miles to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #2

Oooh this is definitely on my wishlist! I didn’t realize they could step up a 3.2 to 3.8. I figured just 3.6 as the website states. Roughly how much HP and torque gains? I’m guessing you’ve got way more lower-end torque now too. It must be a hoot to drive!

PM how much it set you back (if you don’t want to state publicly) so I can set a savings goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spyder_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:30 AM   #3

Been there done that but in my case a 3.6 R51 . You will love it . Jake/Jud/Blake/Jonathan do a great job with each build . It takes a long time as there are multiple outside suppliers that play a part in the process . I think they are now booking 2nd quarter of 2022 ! Their shop is 12 miles away so I go often .......... kid in a candy store Have fun and drive her like she was stolen you will be smiling ear to ear .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #4

That is awesome, enjoy it! It looks like the stock intake plenum in the top picture. Is that the final built up 3.8 engine, and are you still running the original throttle body?
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #5
2007 Cayman S

FS1 Engine

This sounds terrific. A few questions please:
How much did this cost?
How long did it take for them to do this?
It sounds like you shipped your entire car to the them - is that true?
How much was the horsepower increase?
How long ago did you “reserve” your spot?
Thanks!
Old 01-16-2021, 12:39 PM   #6

Garage
Wow! Congratulations! 112K Miles on her is a perfect time to rebuild and transform into a beazt!
I only have 45K miles, but hate tearing down a virtually new engine
Old 01-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #7

Fred - I'm so jealous! Having Jake and his crew tackle my '99 996 aero car is one of my bucketlist projects.
I'm stashing my dollar bills for the day that's coming.
I congratulate you!
Old 01-17-2021, 03:28 AM   #8

Responses to questions

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies! Been waiting to collect questions so I could include them in one reply.

IDP plenum / 996 throttle body / exhaust mods?
My 550SE came stock with the 987 air box and intake tract. The picture is my rebuilt engine immediately prior to reinstallation. FSI can build anything you want as long as it meets their stringent quality requirements. My primary build objectives were increased street drivability, long term reliability, meeting state emissions requirements and refreshed performance within my fixed budget. I focused my expenditures on creating a great foundation with the potential to support future bolt ons if I decide to pursue them. There is a lot of reliable power potential in my build which could be realized by future incremental expenditures.
How much did this cost?
Every build is different and IMHO you really must have a special reason to do this type of build. A 2009-2013 Boxster or Cayman could easily be purchased outright for the cost of a build like this.
How long did it take for them to do this?
My turnkey build took 4 months.
It sounds like you shipped your entire car to the them - is that true?
Yes, FSI can coordinate shipping for you and that is what I did. They also work with qualified shops who can do the engine extraction/reinstall and shipping. AFAIK, all builds are done at FSI in Georgia.
How much was the horsepower increase?
I’m not quoting Hp/torque or posting my post-tune dyno charts because every build and dyno is different. My actual gains met FSI estimations as given during my build consultation.
How long ago did you “reserve” your spot?
Build consultation, contract signing and paid deposit took place in early November 2019.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 01-17-2021 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:16 AM   #9

I stated several times in my build topic that Jake's engine rebuild will not make sense to anyone's accountant 😁 . But to an enthusiast it makes sense . You get an engine that all weak spots have been corrected with the bonus of more hp and torque .

I have been around the shop enough to know you should plan a budget of 25k - 35k for a turn key build . Is it worth it ? Their backlog say's it is to some folks myself included . If you have the $$$ it can be a rewarding experience . Listening to his engine's sing on the chassis dyno is a glorious experience .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:28 AM   #10

Thanks for your response Fred, I had similar concerns about remaining emission compliance, drivability and sticking to a budget when my 3.2 was rebuilt as a 3.6, so I stayed with the stock plenum and throttle body too. I am sure you're going to enjoy your car with the 3.8 for a long time!
What are you doing on the exhaust side?
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Thanks for your response Fred, I had similar concerns about remaining emission compliance, drivability and sticking to a budget when my 3.2 was rebuilt as a 3.6, so I stayed with the stock plenum and throttle body too. I am sure you're going to enjoy your car with the 3.8 for a long time!
What are you doing on the exhaust side?
Hi Paul, You’re welcome! For the exhaust I’m currently running my 2004 stock headers w/stock primary cats, Fabspeed mid pipes and an FVD Brombacher Sound Version muffler. Way down the road I may try 200 cell headers/primary cats coupled with an IDP plenum and 996 throttle body to take better advantage of the increased displacement (if I can keep it emissions compliant). In any case I’ll keep the Fabspeed mid pipes and Brombacher because they’re perfect for me.

Frankly, I probably will never proceed with the header and plenum upgrades because I’m very happy with the current performance/drivability even with the tight engine and break-in tune. Can’t wait to finish initial break-in and load my custom 93 octane tune.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:33 AM   #12
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Congrats!!!!

I am so jealous!!

Enjoy!
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:44 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
I am so jealous!!

Enjoy!
Pretty much sums it up. This has been my plan since I started looking for a gen1 Boxster. I'm guessing at least 5 years down the road though. That thing has to be an absolute blast to drive.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:49 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
I stated several times in my build topic that Jake's engine rebuild will not make sense to anyone's accountant 😁 . But to an enthusiast it makes sense . You get an engine that all weak spots have been corrected with the bonus of more hp and torque .

I have been around the shop enough to know you should plan a budget of 25k - 35k for a turn key build . Is it worth it ? Their backlog say's it is to some folks myself included . If you have the $$$ it can be a rewarding experience . Listening to his engine's sing on the chassis dyno is a glorious experience .
That's sounds about right; I am budgeting $30K for a track performer @Jake's.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:05 PM   #15

Garage
Interesting thread! I just posted my 3.8L Flat6Innovations/Bilt Racing Track Performer 2001 Boxster S for sale. Knowing that you understand the value and performance of FSI...please check it out if you are interested or pass it along to anyone you know who might be. Thank you!
http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-cayman-cars-sale-wanted/80605-3-8l-flat6innovations-bilt-racing-2001-boxster-s-%2429-5k-nj.html#post635975
507fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 507fan View Post
Interesting thread! I just posted my 3.8L Flat6Innovations/Bilt Racing Track Performer 2001 Boxster S for sale. Knowing that you understand the value and performance of FSI...please check it out if you are interested or pass it along to anyone you know who might be. Thank you!
http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-cayman-cars-sale-wanted/80605-3-8l-flat6innovations-bilt-racing-2001-boxster-s-%2429-5k-nj.html#post635975
Great price, I’ll pass it on to my PCA region for sure. Good luck with your sale! The car is pretty much free with the motor.