Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2021, 05:23 PM   #1

Garage
Anyone lost their glasses down into the depths of the top mechanism?

I had glasses hanging from shirt, under the seatbelt. Took the seatbelt off and then heard my glasses merrily clanking their way down into somewhere.

The top is up. Unsure of what my next steps should be lol!

Any experience or ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by Radman; 01-18-2021 at 05:19 AM.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
I had glasses hanging from shirt, under the seatbelt. Took the seatbelt off and then heard my glasses merrily clanking their way down into somewhere.

The top is up. Unsure of what my next steps should be lol!

Any experience or ideas?

Thanks!

guessing you checked behind and under the seat.
they could have fallen behind your left shoulder in the space where the top transmission sits and moves around. if you tilt your driver's seat forward you should be able to stick your head in there and see better. alternatively, move the top down just a bit, as putting it in the "service" position, just as far as the clamshell goes up and out of the way, then you can poke around in there from the outside (you can move those black plastic covers attached to the clamshell, banana shaped, to see better). be careful with this move, maybe move the top slowly and check often as there are 2 rods spinning on the top transmission in that space and if your glasses are in there, at the lower spot, they could be crushed.

Last edited by CrisZenithBlue; 01-15-2021 at 01:46 AM.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:09 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
guessing you checked behind and under the seat.
they could have fallen behind your left shoulder in the space where the top transmission sits and moves around. if you tilt your driver's seat forward you should be able to stick your head in there and see better. alternatively, move the top down just a bit, as putting it in the "service" position, just as far as the clamshell goes up and out of the way, then you can poke around in there from the outside (you can move those black plastic covers attached to the clamshell, banana shaped, to see better). be careful with this move, maybe move the top slowly and check often as there are 2 rods spinning on the top transmission in that space and if your glasses are in there, at the lower spot, they could be crushed.
Thanks! Not worried about the glasses, they're cheap readers, more worried about the top mechanism. Having only acquired the car 2.5 weeks ago, I haven't done much more than drive and put the top up and down. Prob time to learn a little more about it.

And yes, I think that's exactly where they went. I did try sticking my head back there last night but couldn't see much. And I did check behind/under the seat
Old 01-15-2021, 05:56 AM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
You are in Florida, top down all the time!
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:37 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
You are in Florida, top down all the time!
Pretty much. It hasn't gotten cold enough that a jacket, hat, and heater can't make up for it. I do keep the top up when it's parked in the hope of putting off the creases in the top as long as possible!

I did find my glasses. They were on some piece that looks like it's made to catch stuff lol! I also found what I believe are the rear drain holes. I also lubed some of the joints on the top mechanism and suddenly it's a lot quieter . Still get some noise when the seals rub together but otherwise is pretty quiet now.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
Pretty much. It hasn't gotten cold enough that a jacket, hat, and heater can't make up for it. I do keep the top up when it's parked in the hope of putting off the creases in the top as long as possible!

I did find my glasses. They were on some piece that looks like it's made to catch stuff lol! I also found what I believe are the rear drain holes. I also lubed some of the joints on the top mechanism and suddenly it's a lot quieter . Still get some noise when the seals rub together but otherwise is pretty quiet now.
Where and what did you lube it with?
Thanks
Old 01-15-2021, 10:18 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
Where and what did you lube it with?
Thanks
White lithium grease. I lubed anything that moved on a mated surface that I could see/reach.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:35 AM   #8

good move with the lubing! there was a time when i got lazy and didnt do it, ended up cracking a top transmission. I put white lithium grease all the time now
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:58 AM   #9

What points are you guys lubricating specifically?

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:44 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
What points are you guys lubricating specifically?
I lubed anything that slid or rotated and that I could see. Sorry that it isn't specific, I just know the top mechanism well enough yet to be more specific lol!