Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2021, 08:30 PM   #1

99 boxster auto transmission issue

Hi. My auto transmission is not working. I can move the shifter into all spots p to d etc. However the transmission does not engage into any of the gears. It had started slipping a little bit prior to this. I'm hoping it just needs some automatic trans fluid. Anyone have any ideas. This is on a 99 boxster. Thank you.

Mikexfctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:19 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikexfctr View Post
Hi. My auto transmission is not working. I can move the shifter into all spots p to d etc. However the transmission does not engage into any of the gears. It had started slipping a little bit prior to this. I'm hoping it just needs some automatic trans fluid. Anyone have any ideas. This is on a 99 boxster. Thank you.
Sounds like you're low on fluid. Get under it... check... or have someone else do it.

I buy my Pentosin 1 from Rock Auto.

Good luck, and keep us posted, newbie.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikexfctr View Post
Check the transmission linkage in the rear.The reason I mention it is because there is a small rod in the linkage that comes apart.The ball socket comes off of the rod.It happened to my 99. Porsche had to have some made as there none anywhere
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold

Last edited by Xpit77; 01-11-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:00 PM   #4

Garage
agree with both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
Check the transmission linkage in the rear.The reason I mention it is because there is a small rod in the linkage that comes apart.The ball socket comes off of the rod.It happened to my 99. Porsche had to have some made as there none anywhere
I agree both of the other suggestions- having pulled and replaced my tiptronic on my 03 box car. ( what the heck was I thinking!)The cable/rod is always suspect. And the slipping leading to eventual burnout mysteriously always coincides with low fluid...( which I found out much to my sorrow) One symptom which points to low fluid is leading up to the no go state- did it slip when you made a spirited left turn? If so- fluid level is suspect.
Wikan
wikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:51 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikan View Post
I agree both of the other suggestions- having pulled and replaced my tiptronic on my 03 box car. ( what the heck was I thinking!)The cable/rod is always suspect. And the slipping leading to eventual burnout mysteriously always coincides with low fluid...( which I found out much to my sorrow) One symptom which points to low fluid is leading up to the no go state- did it slip when you made a spirited left turn? If so- fluid level is suspect.
Wikan
Wikan-

There isn’t a lot of info about pulling the auto. I’m in the middle of doing it and hit a snag. Wonder if you can help. I removed all the torque converter bolts (six) I removed the seven bell housing bolts (6 bolts 1 nut). I’ve disconnected the two cooler lines in the two electrical connections. The transmission seems to slip back about a quarter of an inch all the way around but I can’t get it to budge any further and don’t want to force it. Is there something I missed? I think the nose of the converter might just be stuck into the crankshaft but I don’t wanna force anything and make an expensive mistake.
Dllrd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:56 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dllrd23 View Post
Wikan-

There isn’t a lot of info about pulling the auto. I’m in the middle of doing it and hit a snag. Wonder if you can help. I removed all the torque converter bolts (six) I removed the seven bell housing bolts (6 bolts 1 nut). I’ve disconnected the two cooler lines in the two electrical connections. The transmission seems to slip back about a quarter of an inch all the way around but I can’t get it to budge any further and don’t want to force it. Is there something I missed? I think the nose of the converter might just be stuck into the crankshaft but I don’t wanna force anything and make an expensive mistake.
Got it!! I was right. Nose of the converter was stuck in the crank. Sprayed some penetrating oil in its general direction hoping to “flow it into the TC pilot. Walked away for a couple of hours then came back and went at it with some 3’ pry bars. Bingo came apart.

Last edited by Dllrd23; 01-25-2021 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Dllrd23 is offline   Reply With Quote