Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2021, 02:51 PM   #1

What's this convertible top "shoestring?"

In fixing my convertible top, I found another potential problem. There's a gray-colored "shoestring" hanging down from each side. The top end is connected to the top frame, but the bottom end is dangling loose and disconnected from anything. The string is about 18" long on the driver's side, and even longer on the passenger side.

Where do they go, what do they do, and how do I fix 'em?

RoadHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:33 PM   #2

Hello Road Hazard.

That string is used to keep the canvas tight on the top bows. Kind of old fashioned to use string, but that's what they do. That elastic band in the lower part of your pic is what keeps the top from slipping over the outer top bow. So both sides are untied? There's a panel that can be unsnapped with 2 velcro straps, giving you a better view inside the top. Otherwise an upholstery shop would probably know how to address it.

I don't have access to my Box (she's in storage) but I can swing by tomorrow and take some pics.

BTW...
It looks like you have a 987 from what I can see of your passenger doorcard. It's always good to mention what car you have (yr, base or S, etc) to give the membership an idea what your working on.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 01-07-2021 at 03:37 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:39 PM   #3

I've seen the official name for that as both 'tension rope' and "fold placer string." It runs across the top between the headliner and the top and its purpose is to help the top fold properly when its going down. In your picture it looks like it is connected to the side rail of the top frame, which is correct, and it should be connected on the other side the same way, with small Philips screws and maybe a plastic ear thing. One of my plastic ears broke, so I replaced them both with small plastic washers and it has worked fine like that for years. There is supposed to be a piece of elastic in the center section that the strings from both sides connect to, but I have never gone inside to look. From your picture I think the elastic or string somewhere in the middle between the top and the headliner has just broken. I can't be sure of the part number for the 986, it might be 986-561-921-00 for the 987 it is 987-561-773-01. Here is another thread on Renntech I found when I had an issue with mine.

Just saw Husker Boxster's comment. My car is a 2003 986 and it has that string, maybe the earlier 986s don't have them. Well now you have the 987 part number!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop

Last edited by PaulE; 01-07-2021 at 03:42 PM.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #4

Here are a couple of pics of the shoestring. Looks like it goes into a sheathe and disappears into the center of the top.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #5

A-ha. Very helpful, thanks.

I had assumed that the two strings went downward somewhere into the depths of the chassis when instead they actually go up and over across the top and meet in the middle. I think it's really one string that came apart, not two separate strings.

Next step: let's see if I can somehow rejoin them.
RoadHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:24 PM   #6

Just tagging because I’m in the process of buying a 987 with similar issues.
losblancos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:16 PM   #7

Guys, has anyone ever dealt with the tension cord actually ripping through the ribbing that keeps it attached to the canvas?

Anything I can do here short of a new top?
My car is a 987.1
Attached Images

losblancos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:46 AM   #8

I'm not an upholsterer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn, but that appears fatal to me since the rubber sheath is torn. Looks to me like you'd have to sew a whole new sheath into that side of the roof.

I can guess with relative certainty what caused it. The top canvas has been overlapping the top bow rather than going inside the bow when the top is moved from open to closed. This scenario puts a lot of tension on the threads of that sheath. Why does it happen? Porsche used an elastic band designed to keep the top under tension so it goes inside the bow when putting the top up. This band ages quickly, loses it's elasticity, and can break, leaving little or no tension on the canvas. This causes it to slip over the bow instead of inside it, further expanding / stretching the top so it continues to go over the bow. Eventually the seams in the top canvas will let go. There's a thread about fixing the over the bow problem, but this top has bigger issues to address before fixing the elastic band.

At the very least, you'll have an expensive upholstery bill to fix this top. By the time you'd pay for this repair, it might be cheaper to replace it. A used top might be the cheapest soln. Sorry for the bad news. I'd check with an upholster and see what they say.

Last edited by husker boxster; 01-25-2021 at 04:53 AM.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:13 AM   #9

Thanks! That’s what I figured. I bought the car knowing this was a possibility, and it’s not a DD so not a huge deal.

I’m also thinking, though, that it may not be an issue if I can fix the elastic band and get the top to tuck in consistently. It wouldn’t be visible!
Old 01-25-2021, 08:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by losblancos View Post
Thanks! That’s what I figured. I bought the car knowing this was a possibility, and it’s not a DD so not a huge deal.

I’m also thinking, though, that it may not be an issue if I can fix the elastic band and get the top to tuck in consistently. It wouldn’t be visible!
That may be worth a try but the plastic cable being loose could allow the fabric to flop around and over the top bow.

Here's my thread on how to fix. There are variations available, but the concepts are the same.
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/62220-987-boxster-convertible-top-sides-not-tucked.html