Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2021, 07:54 AM   #1

Key fob lost sync after fob battery replacement

Hey guys,

Have a newly acquired 2000 Boxster S that I've been working on.

Yesterday the battery in the key fob remote died (little red light stopped blinking when you push the button).
I replaced the 2032 battery and the remote appears to work, but it will no longer lock or unlock the car.
I googled the re-sync procedures for the key (shorting battery terminals while holding button for 60 seconds, lock/unlock/lock 5 times each while holding button) but no matter which ones I tried I couldn't get it to work.

Is there anything I am missing or need to try ?
Remote worked perfectly right up until the point where the key fob battery died.
Key still arms and disarms car when used manually in the lock as well as start it without issues.

Thank you.

Zordrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:58 AM   #2

JMG porsche has a procedure detailed on their site about "resyncing" a key fob and the immobilizer. It doesn't work 100% of the time but (it depends on how out of sync the two are) but it is worth a shot. For some reason the website isn't pulling up for me but I'm pretty sure this is the correct link:
https://www.jmgporsche.co.uk/index.php/menu-articles/articles-maintenance/item/234-996-986-alarm-primer

ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote