Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2021, 07:38 AM   #1

Garage
Fixing Bent Top (trapped cat followup)

I was hunting a lost cat, and ended up partly dismantling my 2006 Boxster S to be positive she wasn't inside. I found some YouTube videos about doing that, and they were pretty good, but none mentioned that the amount you open the top to access those panels is critical. So, naturally, I opened it too far, and in tilting the window forward, I seem to have bent something because now it has great difficulty closing, and the sensor doesn't recognize that the top is closed and latched. I did get the car back together with no left over parts, so there is that.

I considered taking it to either of the two places I've taken it before to have the top worked on, (one dealer, one local guy), but truthfully, neither of them did a particularly great job.

So, do you convertible top experts have any advice on adjusting a top that is already on the car, and mostly working?

astrayelmgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:15 AM   #2

May find something here as there are a series of articles about top removal and replacement that may include some adjustment guidance. https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/thetop-itsmaintaince%26replacement
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #3

Garage
I'll check it out.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:34 PM   #4

Garage
Mike, I looked up that article, but didn't really follow it. I was working the top back and forth while reading the article in real time, and noticed that the top was working a little better on every cycle. After a half dozen cycles, it was working properly, and not making any unusual noises. So I left it alone.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:53 AM   #5

So what happened to the cat? Squished? Lost? Came home?
Inquiring minds....
Lary (the Bald Eagle)

Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote