Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2020, 07:45 AM   #21

Garage
Best way to listen for a noise is to drive close to a solid wall at night so the noise bounces off the wall back to you, you will be amazed at the difference.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper7821 View Post
I went downhill straight from 40-70mph and jerked the wheel both directions and no difference.
Jasper,

I am sorry, English is my second language, and perhaps was not very clear on my comments...

I noticed that you mentioned 'jerked the wheel' and what I meant about loading the bearing is by turning the wheel hard to one side but for a few seconds (not just momentary), similar to carving a wide turn with giant slalom skis.. this is when you can increase (and hear) the humming noise from a bearing

Last edited by Gilles; 12-16-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:10 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Best way to listen for a noise is to drive close to a solid wall at night so the noise bounces off the wall back to you, you will be amazed at the difference.
I did that, but unfortunately under about 25mph it doesn’t make the noise. Hard to find a long enough wall with no one around to get up to speed for a few seconds to listen.
Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #24

Quote:

Side note, from your username, are you a pilot. I used to have a 76 and 77 Arrow and miss it dearly.
Thanks again.
Yes, I used to fly a Warrior II. N6909T was the tail number of the plane I learned to fly in. It has been a few years, I need to get up again!
Old 12-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #25

willw and BYprovider gave excellent tips. Is there a highway you can drive on that has a concrete barrier? It doesn't have to be a building. A 3 foot tall concrete barrier is plenty tall enough to bounce the sound of a bearing. Keep your windows down.
And check with your local PCA for an indy near you.

$1500 to replace a wheel bearing is nuts! The most expensive wheel bearing on Rock Auto is $68. I couldn't find one in our sponsor's site.

Last edited by piper6909; 12-16-2020 at 11:52 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:00 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
willw and BYprovider gave excellent tips. Is there a highway you can drive on that has a concrete barrier? It doesn't have to be a building. A 3 foot tall concrete barrier is plenty tall enough to bounce the sound of a bearing. Keep your windows down.
And check with your local PCA for an indy near you.

$1500 to replace a wheel bearing is nuts! The most expensive wheel bearing on Rock Auto is $68. I couldn't find one in our sponsor's site.
Thank you, I’ll try that and see what happens. And yes, $1,500 is crazy. Less the parts, they’re saying almost 8hrs labor to change 2 wheel bearings.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:03 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Yes, I used to fly a Warrior II. N6909T was the tail number of the plane I learned to fly in. It has been a few years, I need to get up again!
Very nice, I really miss it. My 76 was N9644K and had a really nice leather interior/new plastics. I work with 747’s in the desert so at least I’m still around aviation.

Last edited by Jasper7821; 12-17-2020 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:28 AM   #28
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Thank you, I’ve only had the car for 6 months and it’s been perfect so I haven’t searched other shops yet, but will.
Thank you
Definitely contact your local PCA chapter. You will get some good referrals
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:32 AM   #29

Jasper
If you suspect a wheel bearing and you don't have the means to change it out yourself.
Take the car to "ANY Reputable" shop that does suspension work.
Have them test the car for bad wheel bearings.
There is nothing secret or complex or Porsche specific about wheel bearing issues or fixes. No need to take it to a "Porsche" dealer or Porsche garage.
Wheel bearings can be changed out by a school boy with minimal knowledge.
$1500.00 to change a couple of wheel bearings out is theft.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:43 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Definitely contact your local PCA chapter. You will get some good referrals
Will do, thank you
Old 12-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Jasper
If you suspect a wheel bearing and you don't have the means to change it out yourself.
Take the car to "ANY Reputable" shop that does suspension work.
Have them test the car for bad wheel bearings.
There is nothing secret or complex or Porsche specific about wheel bearing issues or fixes. No need to take it to a "Porsche" dealer or Porsche garage.
Wheel bearings can be changed out by a school boy with minimal knowledge.
$1500.00 to change a couple of wheel bearings out is theft.
Ya, I should just try it myself and get a bearing press kit and whatever else is needed. It is my 2nd car so not a big deal if it can be driven for a bit. I changed control arm bushings by myself on my old BMW many years ago so maybe I just need to try it.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Ya, I should just try it myself and get a bearing press kit and whatever else is needed. It is my 2nd car so not a big deal if it can be driven for a bit. I changed control arm bushings by myself on my old BMW many years ago so maybe I just need to try it.
The Bentley Porsche service manual describes the procedure (with pictures).
IT is pricey around $95.00 but for general service and maint. it is about all that is available. It describes the process and tools well enough that even a novice should be able to do the task.

I suggest that as a first step you purchase the Bentley service manual.
Then you have a means of reference for not only wheel bearing replacement but many other service maint. procedures.
Then after reading,up on an issue (such as wheel bearing replacement) you will have a better idea of if you are capable of doing the job or if you need to hire it out.

The other thing is to be sure it is a wheel bearing you are hearing and not something else. Sucks to spend money and do work and replace parts to find out you didn't fix the problem.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #33

Garage
Thank you, I watched a few YouTube videos of 986 wheel bearing changes. But yes, the service manual would’ve great.

Quote:
The Bentley Porsche service manual describes the procedure (with pictures).
IT is pricey around $95.00 but for general service and maint. it is about all that is available. It describes the process and tools well enough that even a novice should be able to do the task.

I suggest that as a first step you purchase the Bentley service manual.
Then you have a means of reference for not only wheel bearing replacement but many other service maint. procedures.
Then after reading,up on an issue (such as wheel bearing replacement) you will have a better idea of if you are capable of doing the job or if you need to hire it out.

The other thing is to be sure it is a wheel bearing you are hearing and not something else. Sucks to spend money and do work and replace parts to find out you didn't fix the problem.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Thank you, I watched a few YouTube videos of 986 wheel bearing changes. But yes, the service manual would’ve great.
Keep us posted on what you find and do with the "Noise issue" I think most of us on the forum like to hear end results.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:51 PM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Keep us posted on what you find and do with the "Noise issue" I think most of us on the forum like to hear end results.
Yes for sure.
Will probably get to spend some time on it next weekend.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #36
Pathological Tinkerer

Before tearing anything apart, do a sanity check on your tires even though it is not likely one or more would be bad.

Put on some latex gloves and run your hands over the tread on each tire around the whole circumference to feel for any unevenness, small bump, etc.

I replaced front bearings on my S4 last winter and it turned out in the end to be a tire issue.

I replaced the Boxster bearings two years ago and you do not need to remove the strut/hub assemblies to do so. Youtube has a bunch of vids on wheel bearings and anything BMW related is also similar enough to be instructive.

Bearing manufacturers put minimal grease in bearings so I disassembled mine and repacked them with Redline CV.
P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:00 PM   #37

Garage
Thank you, I will do that although I think the tires are fine, but would be nice if it happened to be a tire.
And I did watch some videos and also one saying to take the bearings apart and add grease.
Hopefully I’ll have time to work on it in the next week or two.
Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Carfahrer View Post
Before tearing anything apart, do a sanity check on your tires even though it is not likely one or more would be bad.

Put on some latex gloves and run your hands over the tread on each tire around the whole circumference to feel for any unevenness, small bump, etc.

I replaced front bearings on my S4 last winter and it turned out in the end to be a tire issue.

I replaced the Boxster bearings two years ago and you do not need to remove the strut/hub assemblies to do so. Youtube has a bunch of vids on wheel bearings and anything BMW related is also similar enough to be instructive.

Bearing manufacturers put minimal grease in bearings so I disassembled mine and repacked them with Redline CV.