Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2020, 06:05 AM   #1

Continuously crooked rear main seals

I have been having an issue with my Boxster. I bought it in pieces after the previous owner attempted to install a clutch and ended up bending valves. Long story...

At the time of rebuilding the motor I installed a new rear main seal, put the engine back in the car and went about having fun with it. About 2 weeks after getting it up and running I noticed an oil leak and a week later noticed it was getting progressively worse. I was able to narrow it down the back of the engine/bell housing area and proceeded to pull the trans out. I found that the rear main seal was incredibly crooked and the engine was leaking heavily from the back of the crank. I chalked this up to somehow installing the seal wrong, even though I have installed hundreds of rear mains and am familiar with the process, installed a new rear seal and put the car back together.

It has not been about 3 weeks and the oil leak is back same as before. I have not pulled the trans out yet again, but plan to this weekend. I have a feeling I know what I will find.

All that said, has any else had issues with rear mains working themselves crooked and leaking after a couple hundred miles of use? I have never seen this before on another car.

Edit: I have been using Victor Reinz seals. I am going to try an OEM from Porsche next.
subieworx is offline   Reply With Quote