Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2020, 02:25 PM   #1

lock/alarm issue

03 base. I've had a problem for a while now, been living with but really would like to solve it. It all started one day when I hit the lock button on the dash, which I almost never do/did. Since then, my key buttons don't work, I can only lock/unlock with the key in the driver's door, and even when I unlock the alarm is still set and will go off if I don't get the key in the ignition fast enough. Oh, and the passenger door stays locked and the red light remains illuminated on the lock button on the dash. Unlock the pass door from the inside and start the car, and i'm good, but not solved, so next time I want to lock up, it happens again. Stopped by the dealer's recently and while they were backed up and couldn't actually take a look, they said they weren't familiar with such symptoms and would need to take it in, and I didn't have time (or $) for that. So, I turn to you lot. Just to anticipate some questions -- No, never got wet under the driver's seat. No, I don't have another key, and yes, the battery in my key is brand new. That said, I'm thinking next to just disconnect the (car's) battery for a while and see if that magically reboots and solves the issue, but no real foundation for thinking that would work. Anyone have ideas I can/should try? Thanks!

bmsamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsamson View Post
03 base. I've had a problem for a while now, been living with but really would like to solve it. It all started one day when I hit the lock button on the dash, which I almost never do/did. Since then, my key buttons don't work, I can only lock/unlock with the key in the driver's door, and even when I unlock the alarm is still set and will go off if I don't get the key in the ignition fast enough. Oh, and the passenger door stays locked and the red light remains illuminated on the lock button on the dash. Unlock the pass door from the inside and start the car, and i'm good, but not solved, so next time I want to lock up, it happens again. Stopped by the dealer's recently and while they were backed up and couldn't actually take a look, they said they weren't familiar with such symptoms and would need to take it in, and I didn't have time (or $) for that. So, I turn to you lot. Just to anticipate some questions -- No, never got wet under the driver's seat. No, I don't have another key, and yes, the battery in my key is brand new. That said, I'm thinking next to just disconnect the (car's) battery for a while and see if that magically reboots and solves the issue, but no real foundation for thinking that would work. Anyone have ideas I can/should try? Thanks!
The red light staying illuminated on the switch may be a clue.
Perhaps the switch has malfunctioned. you could remove it and test it to see if it functions properly or not.
That would be an easy starting point.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #3

just to clarify

the light on the switch does go off after i open the passenger door, if that matters. but that is an interesting thought. how would i test it?
Old 11-06-2020, 05:00 PM   #4

Quote:
the light on the switch does go off after i open the passenger door, if that matters. but that is an interesting thought. how would i test it?
Electrics is my weak point but it seems to me that it would be a two position switch.
On and off.
I would pull it out and see how many wires go to it. then go from there.

You could then do some Google searching and learn how the switch works and how to test it. all you will need is a multimeter and a little research.

You have to have a starting point in a diagnostic process.
That starting point should always be the simplest easiest thing to check within the particular system your working on that you can think of.
You already know the red light on the switch stays on and that's not normal.
So the switch would be a good starting point. And it is relatively easy to get to and should be easy to test.
If it proves good then go to the next easiest most logical thing in the system and prove it good or bad.
One step at a time.

I am also sure someone on the forum with good electrical knowledge will jump in and give you some guidance.

Last edited by blue62; 11-06-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:03 PM   #5

switch test

that's about what i was thinking. push 12v and see if multimeter shows power on/off with the switch on/off. i don't know how it would override my key fob, but stranger things have bamboozled me on vehicles before.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #6

Quote:
that's about what i was thinking. push 12v and see if multimeter shows power on/off with the switch on/off. i don't know how it would override my key fob, but stranger things have bamboozled me on vehicles before.
Keep us posted
Old 11-06-2020, 09:46 PM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The switch is momentary and almost certainly not your issue.

Try to re-sync the key first.
Insert into ignition. Turn to on for 10 seconds (without starting). Turn off, remove and press the lock/unlock button on the key within 6 seconds.

Most likely another issue, though, because of the dash light and passenger door not unlocking. Next in line for me would be to check the door harness connector for corrosion (inside the jamb), then the connections and circuit board on the immobilizer (it only takes 10 minutes).
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:16 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
The switch is momentary and almost certainly not your issue.

Try to re-sync the key first.
Insert into ignition. Turn to on for 10 seconds (without starting). Turn off, remove and press the lock/unlock button on the key within 6 seconds.

Most likely another issue, though, because of the dash light and passenger door not unlocking. Next in line for me would be to check the door harness connector for corrosion (inside the jamb), then the connections and circuit board on the immobilizer (it only takes 10 minutes).
Hi PW.

Almost weekly my wife asks me when I'm going to get my truck key fob fixed... and you come to mind. Hope all is well!