Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2020, 04:18 PM   #1

Strapping CV Boots

I have the Porsche brand metal bands for the CV boots the one's with the dimples,Is it as simple as dimple side down and pull the tip of the strap thru the opening pull tight and then just bend the tip back and tap it a few times to flatten it and that's it,.?? Thanks Frank

flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
I have the Porsche brand metal bands for the CV boots the one's with the dimples,Is it as simple as dimple side down and pull the tip of the strap thru the opening pull tight and then just bend the tip back and tap it a few times to flatten it and that's it,.?? Thanks Frank
Unless some Porsche brands are different, the ones for the boxster have holes at the end that hook over a couple of tabs, which is quite tight already, and then the pliers squeeze the ends of the part with the dimple (but it doesn't have the dimple to start), it applies to dimple as it squeezes.

This is a 996 TT but the clamps are similar, the clamps start at around 11:00 and you can see the special pliers with the red handles. Then jump ahead to 14:00 where he does the crimping. I have the Lisle 30800 pliers, they look a little better than the ones in this video. I have crimped 9 bands with them, 8 bands when I rebuilt my Boxster axles and the outboard driver band on my Cayman which seem to be notorious for letting liquified grease past. The driver side seems to really heat up on clockwise tracks.

https://youtu.be/ZW_Ja3GkqU0?t=678

Last edited by steved0x; 11-05-2020 at 12:33 PM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:12 PM   #3

Thanks steved0x,..Mine are different purchased from pelican's website as a Porsche original part,..I cant post a pic until tomorrow they seem to be a exact fit type. Thanks for the Vid appreciate it,.! Frank

flmont is offline   Reply With Quote