Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2020, 09:39 AM   #1

High beam headlight indicator occasionally flickers on

2001 Boxster S.

Once in a while when driving with low-beam headlights on, the blue high-beam indicator in the dash will flicker on and off. The high beams themselves do not appear to flicker on and off - just the indicator light.

The high beam indicator works properly and is on solid when the brights are turned on.

The high beam indicator does not ever come on when no headlights are turned on. It only flickers occasionally when the low beams are on, and it's very intermittent.

This all of course points to a short somewhere, where the low-beam on circuit is intermittently energizing the high beam circuit and/or the high-beam indicator circuit.

Has anyone seen this before? What was your solution?

ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #2

My guess is that the insulation on the wiring inside the headlight is starting to fall off and some bare wires are occasionally touching. I just built up a pair of headlights with Morimoto bixenon projectors. Got the all finished, clearcoated the outer lenses and installed them. The driver side foglight only worked dimly, and the left turn signal light was glowing on my dashboard when the fog lights were turned on. Thought I had fixed all the bad wiring but the wires down to the turn signal light and fog light had lost some insulation after I finished the build and sealed the lenses back on. So apart the driver side came and I spliced in new wire where needed. Problem solved. Remove your headlights, take off the back covers and have a look inside. You may be able to fix enough wire from there without removing the outer headlight lens and almost completely taking the unit apart.

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote