Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2020, 06:11 AM   #1

Rear axle shaft failure

Had the L rear axle shaft fail and have sourced a new replacement. Question is should I replace R side now too? Any suggestions as to what should look for regarding condition of R side ?

JFS986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 03:46 PM   #2

I would say yes..that way both are done at the same time line,..the other could go in a month,.Of course depending on the failure ? Frank
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:58 PM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
Depends on what failed.
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #4

What yr?
How many miles?
Base or S?
Do you track or just street?
Was a boot broken and throwing grease? How are the boots on the other side?

Tue I'm taking my Cayman in for boot replacement on the driver's side. I'm not changing the passenger side because the boots are fine, so the axle should be fine.

13 days to Indy!
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:25 AM   #5

To sum up - not enough information to give you the best recommendation.

If the CV boot was torn or loose just on this side, that would cause your CV joint to wear prematurely and fail. If this is what happened and the boot on the other side is ok, then no need to replace the other side.

If the CV joint is not what failed, for instance you cracked the actual axle shaft, then I would only replace the one side. It's unlikely to have a manufacturing defect on both sides.

If the CV joint failed, but the boot was not worn, and you have a high-mileage car, or you track the car, or you drive like a maniac, then I would replace the broken side and re-grease the other side. When you open it up to re-grease, if you see a bunch of metal in the joint, then you know it's time to replace the other side too.

As others have said, to really answer your question we need to know mileage, what exactly failed, how you use your boxster, etc.
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:33 PM   #6
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
To sum up - not enough information to give you the best recommendation.

If the CV boot was torn or loose just on this side, that would cause your CV joint to wear prematurely and fail. If this is what happened and the boot on the other side is ok, then no need to replace the other side.

If the CV joint is not what failed, for instance you cracked the actual axle shaft, then I would only replace the one side. It's unlikely to have a manufacturing defect on both sides.

If the CV joint failed, but the boot was not worn, and you have a high-mileage car, or you track the car, or you drive like a maniac, then I would replace the broken side and re-grease the other side. When you open it up to re-grease, if you see a bunch of metal in the joint, then you know it's time to replace the other side too.

As others have said, to really answer your question we need to know mileage, what exactly failed, how you use your boxster, etc.

Sound advice...you say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote