Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2020, 03:33 PM   #1
TSP

No start, Help?

All,
My car is a 1997 986. We’ve had it for quite a few years and it has always been very dependable. Lately, it will sometimes fail to start. Turn the key and all the dash lights up, I can hear the fuel pump spin up but turning the key does nothing. I’ve read here and elsewhere and have replaced a few bits, mainly because it is coming up on 100,000 miles and I figured can’t hurt. The starter was replaced when the clutch and IMS were done a few weeks ago, I replaced the ignition switch and the micro switch on the clutch. Both keys have new 2032 batteries. The car battery was replaced last year. I took it to a reputable shop (no names to protect the innocent) and they thought it was sorted (starter replaced at time of clutch/IMS), but today, it did it again. What else could this be? I’m a decent backyard wrench, but not an electrician. Any ideas at all?
Thanks
T

TSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:06 PM   #2

deleted. I was gonna suggest the switch on the clutch pedal, but I re-read your post and see you've already done it.

Last edited by piper6909; 09-10-2020 at 04:09 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #3

Check the post from Gilles on this thread. That could be your issue:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/78693-no-crank-no-start.html
Old 09-10-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
TSP

Thanks! Talk about fast. I looked in the fuse box by the clutch pedal. No relays. Where are they?
Old 09-10-2020, 04:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSP View Post
Thanks! Talk about fast. I looked in the fuse box by the clutch pedal. No relays. Where are they?
Trunk left side behind the carpet trim.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
TSP

Found them. Took out the starter relay, looked normal. Didn’t bypass it, just rapped it on the heel of my hand a few times, greased connecting spades with dielectric and put it back in. Fired right up...
Although that’s what it does. Every once in a while, it just won’t start. Could go months of being fine, then one day, nothing. I’m going to order and replace the relay as they are inexpensive. I’m just hoping this isn’t an intermittent fault with the immobilized or computer. The worst part is I just don’t know how to troubleshoot all the possibilities.

Thanks for the advice, learned something, that makes it a good day!
T
Old 09-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSP View Post
Found them. Took out the starter relay, looked normal. Didn’t bypass it, just rapped it on the heel of my hand a few times, greased connecting spades with dielectric and put it back in. Fired right up...
Although that’s what it does. Every once in a while, it just won’t start. Could go months of being fine, then one day, nothing. I’m going to order and replace the relay as they are inexpensive. I’m just hoping this isn’t an intermittent fault with the immobilized or computer. The worst part is I just don’t know how to troubleshoot all the possibilities.

Thanks for the advice, learned something, that makes it a good day!
T
So first just about any relay is going to look normal.

What can happen to them is that the contacts inside the plastic case can get burned or more normally carbon up.

They are just as common as a fuse
They only cost about $10.00 and you can get them at any auto parts store.

So I always replace them when coming across problems like yours just so I know the relay is good.

I always go with the simplest things first and work my way up.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
So first just about any relay is going to look normal.

What can happen to them is that the contacts inside the plastic case can get burned or more normally carbon up.

They are just as common as a fuse
They only cost about $10.00 and you can get them at any auto parts store.

So I always replace them when coming across problems like yours just so I know the relay is good.

I always go with the simplest things first and work my way up.
+1!
You cannot judge relays by looks. My Subaru blower fan was working intermittently. To make sure it was the relay, I swapped it with the rear defroster relay and the fan works perfectly. I'll be buying a new relay for the defroster very soon.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
+1!
You cannot judge relays by looks. My Subaru blower fan was working intermittently. To make sure it was the relay, I swapped it with the rear defroster relay and the fan works perfectly. I'll be buying a new relay for the defroster very soon.
I changed out the relays for the DME/ECU and the fuel injectors when I purchased my 2000S two years ago.
Original relays so even though the car only had 47000 miles on it those relays were 18 years old.
I swear the car ran better after changing them.