Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2020, 05:44 AM   #1

no crank, no start

Hey all,
I have a 2003 Boxster base (MT) with around 68,000 miles. The car has been having a no crank, no start problem. When it happens, I have full power, the gauges move and I hear the fuel pump. However, when I turn the key nothing happens. No crank, no start. Rowing through the gears and removing/replacing the key gets it started but sometimes it takes a little while. I have replaced the battery, clutch safety switch and the ignition switch but the problem remains. There are no other electrical problems, just the no crank, no start. I would be grateful for any advice anyone has. I'm not sure where to go next (except a shop). Thank you!

I_like_tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_like_tacos View Post
Hey all,
I have a 2003 Boxster base (MT) with around 68,000 miles. The car has been having a no crank, no start problem. When it happens, I have full power, the gauges move and I hear the fuel pump. However, when I turn the key nothing happens. No crank, no start. Rowing through the gears and removing/replacing the key gets it started but sometimes it takes a little while. I have replaced the battery, clutch safety switch and the ignition switch but the problem remains. There are no other electrical problems, just the no crank, no start. I would be grateful for any advice anyone has. I'm not sure where to go next (except a shop). Thank you!

First: I would change out the starter relay. They are not expensive and easy to change out. It is in one of the relay panels in the trunk.

Second: In the engine bay next to the power steering reservoir is a small black plastic box. inside is a connection for a main power ground point. Make sure it is clean and tight.

Third: Check the connections at the starter and make sure they are clean and tight.

Do those three things then let us know how you go.

Last edited by blue62; 09-09-2020 at 06:23 AM.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:35 AM   #3

I will check the connections and order the relay today. Thank you for your concise reply. Much appreciated!
Old 09-09-2020, 07:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_like_tacos View Post
I will check the connections and order the relay today. Thank you for your concise reply. Much appreciated!
The relay should be a very common automotive relay. So you should be able to remove it then take it to any auto parts store and get a correct replacement.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
The relay should be a very common automotive relay. So you should be able to remove it then take it to any auto parts store and get a correct replacement.
Ah, that's even better. Thank you.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:42 AM   #6

Hello Tacos,

I had the same issue on my '07 987CS and drove me nuts as you turn the key and everything on the dash lights up but the engine completely dead (not even a click from the starter). I removed the starter just to find that it was ok, the relays were fine as well..

The positive cable from the battery goes into a power distribution block (with large fuses) this distribution block it is located on top of the glovebox.

However, the positive cable from the battery attaches into a Mickey Mouse designed connector on the firewall (battery side) and this unusual connector has radial metal contact stripes that attached (by friction only) into a rod that goes through then firewall
this rod comes from the power distribution box.

After we finally ID the culprit, we found out that the positive cable with the funky design was discontinued by Porsche.. therefore we just cleaned the rod as much as possible and cleaned the 'radial connector' on the positive cable with electric cleaner, applied dielectric grease and reconnect the cable.

This solved the issue for me, you may want to check it up, it's free just a bit of time to clean the connector.

Good Luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Hello Tacos,

I had the same issue on my '07 987CS and drove me nuts as you turn the key and everything on the dash lights up but the engine completely dead (not even a click from the starter). I removed the starter just to find that it was ok, the relays were fine as well..

The positive cable from the battery goes into a power distribution block (with large fuses) this distribution block it is located on top of the glovebox.

However, the positive cable from the battery attaches into a Mickey Mouse designed connector on the firewall (battery side) and this unusual connector has radial metal contact stripes that attached (by friction only) into a rod that goes through then firewall
this rod comes from the power distribution box.

After we finally ID the culprit, we found out that the positive cable with the funky design was discontinued by Porsche.. therefore we just cleaned the rod as much as possible and cleaned the 'radial connector' on the positive cable with electric cleaner, applied dielectric grease and reconnect the cable.

This solved the issue for me, you may want to check it up, it's free just a bit of time to clean the connector.

Good Luck!
Alright, I will try this. Thanks Gillies!
Old 09-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #8

check and clean the ground connection of the battery negative cable where it attaches to the body.
While your at it.