Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2020, 06:58 AM   #1

99-ignition trim part number?

Hey there-

Well, I had my “tatty” boxster in what was supposed to be a secure location, and of course someone tried to steal it. In doing so, they kind of messed up the ignition hole around the key-and who knows what the errant f*ckweasel did with the bezel? But I think I can make an adequate repair if I had the correct surround, that bezel, if you will. There’s a number of them on eBay, but there are several part numbers. Like I said in the title, it’s a ‘99. A bit sketchy, but a strong runner. She didn’t deserve this, no. Any idea which one this ‘99 takes?

Why do people insist on being ***holes, trying to steal and wreck other folks’ stuff?

Fortunately the car started right up-a testimonial to its VW heritage. I mean no offense-I’m old enough to remember Porsche’s humble beginnings. My father had a ‘60 Convertible D, a “Normal”. Bright red 356B. In 1960, to most people, it was just a funny little car. It was amazing.

I wish I had it now...

Thanks in advance. Good to be here.

Last edited by Stento; 08-31-2020 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Typo error
Stento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:41 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
996-552-235-03-A03 (A03 denotes black coloring). Likely best to try finding a used one as they’re over $60 new.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:14 AM   #3
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
Looks like you're from one of those towns that wants to refund the police. Enough said
Are you trying to say Defund the police? If so who cares what the "town" is doing? He was asking for help with his car, not spouting political nonsense.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Welcome to the forum!

This will help you with this and many other aspect of 986 ownership: https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/en/E_986_KATALOG.pdf

The part around the ignition is called a "rosette" the part manual denotes the part numbers for different years, and colors, and with this part left hand and right hand drive (If you don't know your interior color, you will need to "decode" the option sticker on the hood, or under the driver's door (do a search for guides).). That said, if you have a non-standard color it's going to be pricey. My leather wrapped one was $400 last times I checked, but the standard plastic ones are a lot more reasonable. If you punch the part number into Pelican Parts they will tell you if it has been superseded by a newer number, the last two number may also change those are the version number. You can use the latest part number to shop for the best price. Most stores that make parts convenient to find charge more than if you use a part number.

Last edited by rick3000; 09-01-2020 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling, as always
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote