Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #1

Garage
Head bolts

Bought a 99 Boxster as a basket case off of somebody who had tried to replace a cylinder head gasket on the driver side. All the parts are there and the price was right so I went to tear the remaining cylinder head off and I’m having great difficulty getting the head bolts loose they appear to be a T50 Torx socket I’ve only been able to get three of them loose and I have broken four sockets in the process. I’ve ordered a good impact set off of Matco but they will not be here for a week. I see there is a special tool listed from Porsche for this was wondering if it was worth the $70?

Dllrd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:54 PM   #2

Garage
Just get a long breaker bar & a quality T50 torx bit. (Snap=ON)

FYI head gaskets never fail on these engines so it maybe something internal that caused the failure!

Last edited by BYprodriver; 08-26-2020 at 04:57 PM.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:59 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Just get a long breaker bar & a quality T50 torx bit. (Snap=ON)

FYI head gaskets never fail on these engines so it maybe something internal that caused the failure!
That’s what I understand. That’s why I’m pulling the second head. Going to tear down to the crankshaft and at very least re-bearing the bottom end and send the heads to machine shop. Also going to get new accessories (water pump, oil cooler, etc). I’ve seen that Porsche had issues with block porosity but I don’t see where the 2.5 was an issue. Any thoughts? Also today is snap-on day I’m not going to wait a week for Cornwell.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dllrd23 View Post
Going to tear down to the crankshaft and at very least re-bearing the bottom end and send the heads to machine shop.
Dllrd23, If you are planning on rebuilding the bottom end you may want to consider re-sleeving the block with the Nickies as these blocks have a tendency to wear the cylinders with an oval shape and a set of new rings will not be able to fix it..

Last edited by Gilles; 08-27-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:57 PM   #5

Garage
Update. Bought 1/2” and 3/8” T50 snap on today. My dealer gave me a 3rd bit as the bit is the same in both. Broke all 3 bits and only got 5 head bolts out. 4 are still in and may be too damaged to remove with normal means. May try to drop valves down in cyl tomorrow and weld the stub to the broken t50 to the head bolt adventure it sheared flat. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:26 PM   #6

Garage
Update. Bought 3/8 and 1/2 in t50 sockets from snap on. Dealer threw in a spare bit as they both use the same one. Got 5/8 (grand total of 8/12) out. One is rounded very badly (inside). 14mm bolt extractors won’t bite on the OD. Going to try to weld a piece of 8mm Allen key about 1” long into the rounded one tomorrow. Will have to drop the valve down into the cyl to get enough access. If that doesn’t work, I’ll see if the Machine shop can cut the heads off and get the head off that way. I’ve never seen this much flex in a bolt in my life. Any additional ideas would be welcome.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:06 AM   #7

Quote:
One is rounded very badly (inside). 14mm bolt extractors won’t bite on the OD. Going to try to weld a piece of 8mm Allen key about 1” long into the rounded one tomorrow. Will have to drop the valve down into the cyl to get enough access.
Dllrd23, Do you have enough room to get a Dremel around the head?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Yes. If I let the valve drop into the cyl I will have about 189 degrees open the other side is close to the wall of the cyl head. I’ll post a pic shortly
Old 08-30-2020, 05:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Whats he gonna do with a dremel?
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:45 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Update. Bought 3/8 and 1/2 in t50 sockets from snap on. Dealer threw in a spare bit as they both use the same one. Got 5/8 (grand total of 8/12) out. One is rounded very badly (inside). 14mm bolt extractors won’t bite on the OD. Going to try to weld a piece of 8mm Allen key about 1” long into the rounded one tomorrow. Will have to drop the valve down into the cyl to get enough access. If that doesn’t work, I’ll see if the Machine shop can cut the heads off and get the head off that way. I’ve never seen this much flex in a bolt in my life. Any additional ideas would be welcome.
Time to break out some good penetrant chemicals & soak overnite.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:56 AM   #11

I had the same issue once with Subaru head bolts. One was so tight that I rounded off the head. That's even after trying a brand new socket.

After I got the others loose, I drilled the head completely off. Then pulled the rest of the blots and removed the cylinder head. The stud that remained came out easily by hand once there was no more pressure on it.

The motor was on a stand and I tilted is so I was drilling up, and the shavings fell away from the motor, not into it.

Definitely wear good goggles so shavings don't fall into your eyes.
Good luck.

Last edited by piper6909; 08-30-2020 at 09:20 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #12

Garage
Final update

Couldn't wait for the MATCO dealer to show up with my 1/2 length torx bits and one bolt was already too far gone anyways. long story short, I was using a 15mm (i think) bolt extractor and it would not bite. Seemed like the outer part of the bolt head was just a half MM too small. Standard size would not bite either. Figured I would throw some money at it and have the heads of the 4 remaining head bolts milled off at the machine shop. Machinist didn't look too thrilled to do it and he went to his toolbox and came back with his bolt extractors. SNAP-ON. he had all 4 loose before I could explain that I had already tried that. Snap-on wins again and MATCO is going to have to warranty a few of my bolt extractors for being worn out. Quite the embarrassing experience. Thanks to all who offered assistance.

Tags
cylinder head removal , head gasket , special tool