Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2020, 10:36 PM   #1

Labor cost for AOS changed out?

Hello,

I have a new to me 99 Porsche boxter. Just ordered oil separator and clamp. I think AOS and oil separator are the same thing, right? Well what I find strange is that I am getting vastly different quotes for labor charge. 101 Projects to Do with your Boxter says that this is a 2hr job. Shop locally quoted me $1000.00 labor, wow. Mobile guy quoted me first $500.00 but just told me the best he can do is $460.00. This does not add up. Ger.

mungodrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:21 AM   #2

The cost escalates quickly because of all the $$$ you have to throw into the swear jar. Those funds have to be recovered, otherwise they're sunk costs.

Seriously, it could be a 2 hr job if you've done lots of them and everything goes exactly according to plan. However, things never go as planned and only someone who works on Boxsters would have Boxster knowledge. The 911 has a different AOS.

AOS = air oil separator
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #3

The first time I did mine took about 2 hrs,.start to finish,..from lifting the car to dropping and starting it. 2nd time about 1 hr,..most of time is fiddling with the AOS connectors. I used a worm clamp on the bottom tube it installs easy with a long screw driver !
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
Will there be cake?

Garage
Installing the AOS isn’t a big deal, and it isn’t hard. Stumbling through it for the first time, 2 hours max if you don’t get the hoses all lined up easy. honestly it’s harder getting under the car and the back and forth from above and below. Make sure you have the remote hose clamp pliers (11 dollar tool) and watch a YouTube video. If you need a mechanic to do this, those two aren’t it. Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #5

Garage
Labor cost for AOS changed out?

$460 sounds right. It’s not the most fun job out there. Especially if it’s their first AOS swap.

If you can’t fathom paying that much, just do it yourself. You’ve already got the parts. Labor charge will be $0.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:11 PM   #6

I just did mine three weeks ago and its not for the faint of hear but next time around would be much more expedient if i had to do again... mine was functioning OK but looked original and I thought it would be best to replace for prevent main. purposes.

As mentioned above, worm clamp for new boot/ lower to motor is preferred. I tried the pre loaded porsche clamp but just couldn't quite get it to seat right. Boot was twisted and not completely sealed.

I cut original boot with a knife and cleaned up all debris and old oil around the boot. This made removal of AOS easy after all bolts and lines undone.

Toughest part is not being able to see and then wrench... with left rear wheel off you can see where the bolts are but you have to reach and go by feel with 1/4 inch ratchet... also you have to be very careful with AOS lines and other plastic lines around the TB. They are brittle with under hood heat and time... plan is to replace with proper silicone non collapsible hose and oil catch can down the line.

First time ever doing it was a little stressful and I am not sure a lift would have helped. I used a very good youtube video and some of the other tips here on the forum. Part was about $45 on amazon and it was a Porsche part but had the serial and part numbers filed off which I assume means new old stock. Fit and had exact same OEM fit and features.

Good luck and 400$ is not far off as labor around here in top german shops is 125 or more.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:28 PM   #7

easy fix unless you have a budget and no time doing it.

ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote