Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2020, 11:38 PM   #1

986 - effects of long time battery removal - ECU IN COMA

Before three weeks i removed battery from my 986 - 2001 - US model - Boxter and left it at my friends property for storage. Yesterday when i tried to open the front trunk using 12V battery and the red pin in the foot well the car stated to honk and did nothing else.

I tried to plug in the key, left it there, twisted it (during the honking fit) - did nothing to stop it or open the trunk.

I tried to look for front trunk release cable as in early models removing the wheel well liner - found out they did not install it.

---
I read the UK models had a second battery to back up the main battery to keed the ECU from going crazy after long time battery being flat, i found nowhere on internet that someone would be having same problem.

My friends complained that the car during those 3 weeks stated three times honking with no aparent reason - on random, at first i laughed and thought they were crazy.
----

Can a ECU lock itself and refuse to communicate with world? Is there any fix, do you think only dealer with PST2 can fix it? Any ideas what to do or how to open the battery compartment?

Thanks guys - Boxters are the best lets keep them running and running fast

Last edited by davidwertu; 08-16-2020 at 11:46 PM.
davidwertu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:53 AM   #2
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
If you removed the battery it would have been best to prop open the front boot. Same if you disconnect it. Try the other wheel liner to see if the cable is there.
I believe the red fuse tab needs a battery connected to complete the circuit.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:50 AM   #3
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
If you removed the battery it would have been best to prop open the front boot. Same if you disconnect it. Try the other wheel liner to see if the cable is there.

I believe the red fuse tab needs a battery connected to complete the circuit.
+1 on this ^

If the battery is disconnected, i don't know how you'll get that frunk open, unless you can find that cable. There should be a manual release cable behind the front bumper. Mine stretches across under the right side headlight.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:10 AM   #4
A Porsche Guy

As edc and maytag stated you cannot jump start the car with the battery disconnected.

There's a few things you can learn from this. You should get a battery tender if you do not frequently drive your car. You should get a new battery if your battery is older than 5 years old as a general guideline. You can push it up to 10 years depending on brand and type. German cars require a high crank at startup than the average. Check behind both wheel liners if you are the original owner for that emergency frunk cable. You can try checking the front tow hook location if you're not the original owner.

You don't need to remove the battery next time out of your car. It's easier to remove just the negative terminal. The hard part is to remember not to close the frunk but it's not that bad after you re-route that cable.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:17 AM   #5

You may want to try applying 12 VDC power to the cigarette lighter

This is how I was able to open the frunk on my car

Good luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:28 PM   #6
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
You may want to try applying 12 VDC power to the cigarette lighter

This is how I was able to open the frunk on my car

Good luck!
With the battery disconnected? Surely not?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote