Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #1

Type of plastics?

I'm trying to glue some plastic together to salvage something. Specifically a small headlight internal tab. I want to make sure I use the correct adhesive product.

So I thought I would ask if anyone here knows what type of plastics Porsche used for various parts. Might be of interest for others on here as well.

Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:54 PM   #2

I did some more research.

Basically the type of plastic is typically molded into the piece. There will be markings that relate to a plastic designation/type.

I suppose that's a bit of a no-brainer, and sorry if that wasted anyone's time! But in case anyone is interested in the answer! There it is.

In my specific case, the piece had PBTGF30 marked on it. A little googling and I got to Polybutylene terephthalate Glass Fiber reinforced 30%...........now to confirm I bought the right glue........
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:07 PM   #3

I just saw an infomercial for a heat gun type thing that melts short, curved, metal wire into plastic parts. It looked pretty slick for fixing broken plastic parts using the wires like rebar.

Know what I mean, Vern?

If I see it online I'll come back and post the link.
Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:30 AM   #4

Look into plastic welding.

You can get butane or electric versions. I think Rayrevolver is referring to something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-Staplers-Repairing-Machine-Machines/dp/B07WDWG94X/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=plastic+weld&qid=1597850994&sr=8-16

szube is offline   Reply With Quote