Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2020, 12:30 PM   #1

Garage
Oil in coolant

Friday driving to work the indicator next to the water temp started to blink .I pulled over checked under the car for leaking water .No water leaking no smoke .Opened the trunk and the level in the reservoir was just below mid point so I thought the level was below the sensor. Temp gauge is normal so I drove to work .Drove home after work keeping an eye on temp gauge no issues .Let her cool down a bit open the water reservoir cap and there is a nasty coolant /oil shake in the tank . Tomorrow I will take it to someone who can tell if there is exhaust gas in the coolant. But I doubt its the oil cooler so looks like the engine will have to come out .RND motor 2.5 years in the car under 30k miles .I was wondering if anyone has a drawing to make the tool to lock the cams in position . Guess I will pull the head off the old motor to put on the new motor .So I am asking two questions 1 dose anyone have a drawing for cam lock tool for a 5 chain motor and 2 Dose anyone have an idea of the cost to recondition /clean and check a pair of Porsche heads. I guess we will see the condition of vario cam actuators after all . Yes I can make the tool I own a machine shop .Thank you all

Last edited by gabedrummin; 08-02-2020 at 12:34 PM.
gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #2

before brain surgery..

why don't you try an aspirin..?

Seriously, replacing the oil cooler as a starting point will be cheaper and who knows you may get lucky, try taking one step at the time.

Good luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
Racer Boy

Yeah, I'd try the oil cooler first as well.

Good luck!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:32 PM   #4

Here is a link for some tools, including the camshaft locking tool. This guy has a lot of good videos on youtube. How to Make Your Own Special Tools for the Porsche IMS Bearing Project
willw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:47 PM   #5

Garage
Just in case you would want to save time on making your own tools, I used this tool kit for assembling the entire engine and it worked flawlessly. It was around $80 last year, now it sells for a bit more, but it`s still a huge time saver.

https://www.amazon.com/8Pcs-Engine-Timing-Porsche-Boxster/dp/B07Z83BMXX/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=porsche+timing+tool&qid=1596411565&sr=8-6
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:20 AM   #6

Garage
Just like this .The wire machine can cut this in about 20 minutes while I do something else.
Attached Images

gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote