Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2020, 11:57 PM   #1

Hood latch issue

I've been having troubles with the frunk on my (03 base) Boxster not opening for about a year now. I've been able to access it the few times I need it with the emergency cable, which I've relocated from the wheel well to the edge of the hood where it's more accessible, but really want to get it sorted properly. I hear a small click when I press the button on the key or the release by the driver's seat, but that's all. I tried swapping another latch (bottom) assembly, but that didn't solve anything. One option could be hood mis-alignment as the previous owner obviously had undisclosed accident and it doesn't look right, but it feels very tight (ie not moving unduly on the hinges, not tight as in sticking anyplace) and i'd owned it for two years before this started, so I'm thinking that's not likely the issue. I tried lubricating the mechanism and that got me working for a while, but no longer. Someone said something about swapping something they called an actuator, but a) I don't even know where it goes/is and how I'd install it and b) it isn't even mentioned in the Bentley so I've no help there. Can anyone help? a) if you agree this might be the culprit and b) then where/how do I install it? And let me add that when I pulled the existing/original latch mechanism, the shorter cable that goes thru a hole at the bottom of the lever (pointing down in the attached photo, but when installed seems to be facing towards the driver's side of the car) was attached to nothing. Does anyone know what it's for, and if so, can you explain how to reinstall that correctly? Thanks in advance.

bmsamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:11 AM   #2
Who's askin'?

Look at this part, read the description, and i think you'll get 'er all figured out ;-)

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99651112700.htm?pn=996-511-127-00-M100

If not, then check this thread:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/76599-front-trunk-frunk-bonnet-release-not-working.html

Last edited by maytag; 07-28-2020 at 05:14 AM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:00 AM   #3

still wondering about that little cable

Thanks for that. so the actuator is the part that jams into the top of the latch and runs out towards the drivers side, and if i peel away more of the frunk liner i'll see it running to the corner of the compartment where the magnet that engages it is found. great. i can look at that. but the cable coming from the bottom of the latch and running the same direction is still a mystery. one thought I have is that the same part was used in a number of models (and in vw's for all i know) and that cable might be used in something besides my year/model boxster, which is why it isn't shown there (and didn't exist on the original -00 part which has been superceded by this -03 version). can anyone confirm?

bmsamson is offline   Reply With Quote