Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2020, 06:41 AM   #1

"Boxster S" Emblem Template???

Hi Gang,
Due to years of fine grit and road rash, I had my local paint shop, the same my local Porsche dealer uses for repair work, paint my hood and front and rear bumper, and the work is phenomenal.

As a favor, I asked if they could replace my old and faded “Boxster S” emblem, which they did, but having no 986 template, it ended up being crooked. Now it’s all I can see and think about!!!!!!

I know there have been many threads on this topic, and I’m fairly certain I have the correct diagram and measurements sourced online, however, does anyone happen to have a pre-existing template for its placement? It would have to be made from an original, factory placed emblem. As mine has been removed and replaced, I’ll be starting from scratch…

I’m obviously looking for something someone has used previously (homemade), as the factory placement templates are $700+ dollars…and impossible to find for the 986.

I’d be happy to pay someone for their template, or as an alternative, if someone could provide a few pictures of their original emblem, with a few pictures showing scale and general proximity to trunk lines, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

As an alternative, if someone is aware of a local bodyshop that does have the template, please let me know, as I could reach out to them to see if I could "rent" their piece....insane I know, but if it costs me $50 + shipping to have it placed perfectly for another 18 years, then I'm OK with that!

Only interested in the 986 size, not 987, 981, etc. My car is an ’03.

Thank you in advance everyone!!!!

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
A Porsche Guy

Here is the diagram that someone else shared on this forum if I recall. I hope this will help you.

Name:  REAR EMBLEM DIMENSIONS.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  33.8 KB
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
Here is the diagram that someone else shared on this forum if I recall. I hope this will help you.

Attachment 22459
Yes, I do have that already....thank you kindly.

Before undertaking the job by using that template, which I'm SURE to screw up somehow (!), I thought I would ask for photos and a physical template first.

Thanks again...
Old 07-17-2020, 07:30 AM   #4
A Porsche Guy

With that template you should be okay. I think you're hyping the job to be a lot tougher than it really is. I never done it on the Boxster but I have on several other cars and no templates were ever used. The usual masking tape, pencil, leveling tool, and a tape measure. I have seen guys use the laser pointers used for hanging up pictures. I will try that if I ever decide to change mine.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:54 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I did the measuring approach... tape, etc. rlying 75% on my keen eye. Looks perfect.

Get it as close as you can. Only a purist would recognize if it's off a mm or so and, wgaf?

Post the results!
Old 07-17-2020, 08:03 AM   #6

Thanks Gents,

I like the laser level idea...ok, if no one else replies, I'll give it a shot and post the results!!!!!
Old 07-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #7

You can do it!!!
(It's gotta end up better than the job you have pictured. Somebody drinkin' on the job??)
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #8
Will there be cake?

Garage
tape...its your friend and its easy. Pay particular attention to the differences between the s and the base logos and you are set.
My body guy puy my emblem on as a base and added the S afterwards. Its off, but still looks ok. FWIW, I think it was money poorly spent, as I am still considering removing it and going without. Easier to wash, wax and such. Also, when people ask me what it is, I just look at them and say "race car"

Last edited by tonythetiger; 07-17-2020 at 12:50 PM.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:35 PM   #9

Garage
I agree with tony
Phat Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #10

OK, after my body shop screwed it up, I tried to "eyeball" it, and it came out slanted downward to the passenger side....arrrggghhh! (first photo)

Now?? I'm not fooling around anymore....I've got the emblem placement dimensions w/ factory photos of stock cars and their respective rear decks taped on my trunk, I've centered everything perfectly, distanced the "r" from the "S' to exactly 20mm, space from the sides, bottom, etc., etc.

The biggest problem when doing this is taking into account the fact that the sides and bottom of the trunk are all angled, and then, to add insult to injury, the emblem itself is slightly angled!

Anyway, thanks for the words of encouragement everyone....and yes, I did try it "de-badged" but for me, I think it adds character to the car, with the unique font and color...

I realize I'm the only one who ever would have noticed it wasn't perfect, but it was starting to keep me awake at night!!!!