Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #1

Angry 2001 Boxter S Hood Release

New Porsche owner and I知 making my first attempt to repair a broken ignition switch.
Could not remove my key after driving it yesterday and realized I would have to disconnect the battery so it wouldn稚 drain the power. No problem except I closed the lid before I realized I wouldn稚 be able to use the hood release button. I assume the accessory jumper post in the fuse box won稚 work because I removed one of the battery cables?
Is my only other option to remove the driver side wheel and try to access the hood latch cable from behind the protective shroud of the wheel well?
To make matters worse, I can稚 access the tire jack and bolt socket with the lid being locked. I can use a jack from another of my vehicles; will a standard set of socket wrenches remove the Tire Lug nuts?
I know these are rookie mistakes but any advice would be much appreciated!

Dawg13154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:27 PM   #2

If you're not the original owner there's a chance that a previous owner re-routed the release cable to another location. So, if you don't find it behind the headlight though the wheel well, try looking for it somewhere behind the bumper cover. Some people move it behind the tow hook cover. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #3
A Porsche Guy

This is one of the quirks you will learn owning a Boxster in regards to removing the battery terminal and shutting your frunk.

Welcome to the forum. You'll find this answer if you search this forum. It's been answered many times but below is a few links to get you started. Best of luck and remember it's all part of the fun.

If you don't know what the bumper cover Piper is referring it, it is the front bumper plug that covers your slot where you install the tow hitch.

You don't need access to a jack, your wheel locks, or anything. Put your key in the ignition and turn your steering wheel all the way to the left as much as you can for starters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o3X7DaHrxw

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/54878-2001-frunk-emergency-release.html

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-12-2020 at 03:03 PM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #4

Porsche Guy- Thanks much for your response! As I'm new to the forum, its taking a little time to learn how to search and find things. It looks like the easiest thing to do is remove the front rider's side headlamp to grab the emergency cable.
What did you mean by "starting with turning the front wheels all the way to the left"?
Old 07-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg13154 View Post
Porsche Guy- Thanks much for your response! As I'm new to the forum, its taking a little time to learn how to search and find things. It looks like the easiest thing to do is remove the front rider's side headlamp to grab the emergency cable.
What did you mean by "starting with turning the front wheels all the way to the left"?
Turn your wheels all the way to the left so you have room to peel back the inner fender liner. Then you can reach up in there to pull the emergency release cable.

Do you know for a fact that you can pull the passenger headlight out? If so, yes. That's definitely the easiest. Pull the headlight out and pull the cable towards the back of the car.

However, unless you have certain aftermarket headlights, they tend to lock in place and you need to unlock them from inside the frunk.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #6

Porsche Guy, yeah as I was driving back from work it dawned on me that turning the wheels to the left would provide more access. Still trying to get into Porsche repair mode after many years of having someone else do the service.
The 2001 Boxter S I recently bought only has 35k miles on it and I知 quite sure everything on the car is original; I値l try the headlamp removal first.
Thanks again for your help!
Old 07-14-2020, 07:09 AM   #7

If you want to remove the tire to make things easier for you the stock lugnut bolts are 19mm.
Side skirts / Bought from original owner
99Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #8
A Porsche Guy

I'm glad it's starting to make sense.

We can give you the instructions and you can spend hours reading and watching that information but if you want to get into Porsche repair mindset you just have to do it.

Where is your Porsche toolkit? The stock location will be inside the frunk. The toolkit will have the headlight removal tool and wheel lock key if you have wheel locks. You won't be able to remove the headlight without the tool. There are exceptions like an aftermarket headlight or your headlight bracket is broken where you can just pull the headlight out. Some have re-route their toolkit inside the cabin because of situations like this.

If you haven't, this is where the problem lies for 2001+ 986 owners with an electronic switch latch for the frunk and trunk when the battery is disconnected. You're locked out of your frunk that contains these two tools to help you. The wheel lock key to remove a tire for easier access and headlight tool to remove the headlight that needs frunk access. If all those factors is not what you're dealing with then your problem is or isn't as big as others have faced before; like myself.

Everyone recommends to re-route the emergency frunk metal wire to the bumper hole as the solution so next time when it happens again it will be easier. It works. My issue with that is that leaves you with vulnerability to theft no matter how much you hide it. It's not a big secret that the frunk can be re-wired. It's the recommendation by most on the popular Porsche forums. I follow this method however but I question it. I keep mines in a private garage but when I go out public parking and public parking lots are the only choices. I always tell my guest and remind myself to put nothing valuable in the frunk that would bother me if it's stolen.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-14-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:00 AM   #9

Porsche Guy- Unfortunately removing the headlight is not an option since the frunk is locked and therefore access to toolkit not available.
Will be attempting to remove the plastic shroud above the passenger side wheel and hope that I can access the emergency frunk cable from there.
As I知 a rookie to all of this, need to do a little research on how to pop those plastic clips that hold the shroud in place.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #10
A Porsche Guy

For most it isn't an option hence the quirk for 2001+ years. You do not need to remove the wheel well liner (plastic fender lining). You just have to pull then remove the plastic tabs holding it in place and fit your hand through it. A simple pair of pliers will work. The video link I sent you will visually show you how it's done.

The reason why you won't be able to remove the wheel well liner simply is because you won't have room with the tire there. Unless you're fortunate to not have wheel locks installed or the wheel lock key is with you to remove it just follow the advice that's been given to you. The rest is a just learning while you're doing it.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #11

Porsche Guy- I was able to loosen the plastic trim around the tire. Had to spin the tire right and left to access all the fasteners. Got the trim loose enough to dig around and could not see the cable. Stuck my hand in that area and did not feel the cable but heard a slight scrape that sounded like the rub of a cable. Sure enough, I dug deeper with my hand and found the loop. One very light tug made the hood pop; I was a happy camper!
Thanks again for all of your help. I知 confident that I値l be able to replace ignition switch when it arrives tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:11 AM   #12
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg13154 View Post
Porsche Guy- I was able to loosen the plastic trim around the tire. Had to spin the tire right and left to access all the fasteners. Got the trim loose enough to dig around and could not see the cable. Stuck my hand in that area and did not feel the cable but heard a slight scrape that sounded like the rub of a cable. Sure enough, I dug deeper with my hand and found the loop. One very light tug made the hood pop; I was a happy camper!
Thanks again for all of your help. I知 confident that I値l be able to replace ignition switch when it arrives tomorrow.
Welcome to the club! A little patience... follow some instruction and direction... you'll be a Porsche mechanic in no time.

Congratulations on the fix!

See ya around!