View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #8
1PorscheBoxster986
A Porsche Guy

I'm glad it's starting to make sense.

We can give you the instructions and you can spend hours reading and watching that information but if you want to get into Porsche repair mindset you just have to do it.

Where is your Porsche toolkit? The stock location will be inside the frunk. The toolkit will have the headlight removal tool and wheel lock key if you have wheel locks. You won't be able to remove the headlight without the tool. There are exceptions like an aftermarket headlight or your headlight bracket is broken where you can just pull the headlight out. Some have re-route their toolkit inside the cabin because of situations like this.

If you haven't, this is where the problem lies for 2001+ 986 owners with an electronic switch latch for the frunk and trunk when the battery is disconnected. You're locked out of your frunk that contains these two tools to help you. The wheel lock key to remove a tire for easier access and headlight tool to remove the headlight that needs frunk access. If all those factors is not what you're dealing with then your problem is or isn't as big as others have faced before; like myself.

Everyone recommends to re-route the emergency frunk metal wire to the bumper hole as the solution so next time when it happens again it will be easier. It works. My issue with that is that leaves you with vulnerability to theft no matter how much you hide it. It's not a big secret that the frunk can be re-wired. It's the recommendation by most on the popular Porsche forums. I follow this method however but I question it. I keep mines in a private garage but when I go out public parking and public parking lots are the only choices. I always tell my guest and remind myself to put nothing valuable in the frunk that would bother me if it's stolen.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-14-2020 at 08:06 AM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote