Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #1

Good end of season project (curb rash)

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext43.shtml

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #2

Good info, that looked awsome when he was done.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
KronixSpeed

sweeeet.

the other day i was admiring this dudes m3 in our work parking lot. we were checking our nice curb rashed rims. it seems that the rear passenger side rim is very common to scrap.

thanks for this link, i ll be using it this winter!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #4

Great link, thanks, my new (to me) winter wheels should be here this week so I'll be able to touch up my Techarts over the winter.

One tip, when you find a web page you like it's a good idea to do a File/Save As and save it in "Web Archive" or MHT form. This creates a single file containing the web page and all the graphics, very handy for archiving things that might disappear when you link to them.

Thanks,

Chris.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:13 PM   #5

p.s.
you can get a sand paper kit at Strauss or Pepboys in the autobody section. In addition to the bondo in a tube, I used the Duplicolor 'bondo in a spray can' filler with good result. The Wurth Silver paint is available at most detailing web sites.
This is a very time intensive project by the way. Each coating of whatever you use needs time to dry. I think tackling more than one wheel at once would be a good idea. You can work on one wheel while the other dries. And wear surgical gloves, beleive me.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #6

Just a thought.... Take your wheel off the vehicle before you "mask" the entire car.
You can keep the car in the garage and work on the wheel in the driveway alot cleaner and easier!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:16 AM   #7

Good idea, if you can do it. Taking wheels off into garage or shop makes it easier on old knees as well!

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:56 AM   #8

I had some existing damage to a wheel when I purchased my car, looked like an acidic liquid was splashed on the wheel and ate through the paint in spots. I used the technique described by this link to sand and repaint the wheel. My results weren't really what I wanted.

First I will say the paint matches perfectly, so that went great. The problem I had (I'm sure this is user error) was when it was complete the paint and clear coat had more of a textured feel to it than the rest of the wheel - didn't go on smooth. This could be from me not holding the can at proper distance, I'm not sure. So I could live with that b/c it wasn't noticeable unless you rubbed your fingers on the wheel.

Then the next time I washed the car, the brake dust won't come off the newly painted spots. So now it kinda looks like crap. I haven't gotten around to sanding it down and trying again. I'm considering just buying a new wheel or whole new set of wheels (now I have an excuse to get those Champion wheels I want).

Does anyone know what would cause this?

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:03 AM   #9

yeah I think the brake dust bonded to the exposed paint. A few more layers and curing time on the clear coat (did you use the two can Wurth kit?). The texture might have due sanding the primer/filler before it had cured fully leaving a less than smooth finish before the color paint went on. Did you wet sand at all?

definitely DO NOT buy a new set of wheels due to a paint imperfection. I think a body shop I once used removed a nasty dent and repainted the wheel for $65.
The stack of wheels waiting to be repaired could well have kept one guy busy for a month. Buy proper spray gun and this could be a nice side job. Lots of curbed wheels out there.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:45 AM   #10

I did use the two can Wurth kit and I did not wet sand. Good idea to check with a local body shop, I will probably go that route in the Spring.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote