Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2006, 07:59 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to jteixidor
Question knocking or popping sound at start up

Every so often I get a popping sound from the exhaust when I start the car and accelerate. Almost like a hesitation. What I have to do is accelerate hard a couple of time and it goes away. Any ideas???

jteixidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:22 AM   #2
bmussatti

Jteixidor, please list your:

Year
Mileage
Engine/Model
And any codes if you have them
Old 10-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #3

Car

2001 Porsche Boxster
just recently did the 30K service with Porsche
2.7 engine and I dont get any lights on the dash (if that is what you mean by codes)

Joshua
Old 10-23-2006, 09:59 AM   #4

Anyone have this happen????
Old 10-23-2006, 10:39 AM   #5

Hi,

Is it Knocking or Popping? Two completely different things.

Knocking would indicate something mechanical, such as an engine internal or even a loose exhaust component.

Popping would seem to indicate a problem with the A/F Mixture causing unburnt fuel to ignite in the exhaust, this could be either a Rich or Lean condition caused by anything from a bad MAF to an Air or Vacuum leak. No Codes?...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:13 AM   #6

Not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Is it Knocking or Popping? Two completely different things.

Knocking would indicate something mechanical, such as an engine internal or even a loose exhaust component.

Popping would seem to indicate a problem with the A/F Mixture causing unburnt fuel to ignite in the exhaust, this could be either a Rich or Lean condition caused by anything from a bad MAF to an Air or Vacuum leak. No Codes?...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Not really sure, Sounds more like a pop in the exhaust. If you mean lights on the dash by codes, I dont have any lights coming on. Any ideas?
Joshua
Old 07-24-2007, 07:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jteixidor
Not really sure, Sounds more like a pop in the exhaust. If you mean lights on the dash by codes, I dont have any lights coming on. Any ideas?
Joshua
Did you ever find out what the problem was or is?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:42 AM   #8

I think I know what you mean and mine does this from time to time. (2001 S, 6 speed.)

I'd say it's more like an air "burping" or "gulping" sound, which could be described as a muted/muffled/soft popping or knocking.

I've always assumed it was just some normal intake noise -- never noticed any problem.
myeboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #9

popping and hesitation

Mostly when cold, if I have to stop in traffic right after starting, then tremendous hesitation. Sometimes 1-2 seconds before engine speeds up. Then hesitation at 2800 RPM and it lasts for a day. Overnight, restart and drive and about 5-10 miles later all is okay again until the next time. No codes and no pending codes. 2001 5 speed. New MAP, new air oil separator and rubber boot.
dickgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:14 AM   #10

"Every so often I get a popping sound from the exhaust when I start the car and accelerate. Almost like a hesitation. What I have to do is accelerate hard a couple of time and it goes away."

Mine does not really pop, but you can hear the exhaust gurggle, not when I accererate, but when I let off the gas. It does sound like unburnt fuel igniting, but just checked my mixture last week and its right on the money. I suspect it is just my exhaust system allowing you to hear more of what is going on. Anyone else with headers 100-cell cats and a high-flow muffler hear that sort of thing?

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
Mine does not really pop, but you can hear the exhaust gurggle, not when I accererate, but when I let off the gas. It does sound like unburnt fuel igniting, but just checked my mixture last week and its right on the money.
Ed-
I have a stock '99 w/ the 2.5 monster but had a similar gurgle sound when I let off . It went away when I replaced my AOS which I had a feeling was going bad. Not sure when/if you last inspected your AOS, but I'd pull the j-tube and also inspect your throttle body for more than a light misting of oil. Otherwise, you could be right and it might just be your headers.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
"Every so often I get a popping sound from the exhaust when I start the car and accelerate. Almost like a hesitation. What I have to do is accelerate hard a couple of time and it goes away."

Mine does not really pop, but you can hear the exhaust gurggle, not when I accererate, but when I let off the gas. It does sound like unburnt fuel igniting, but just checked my mixture last week and its right on the money.

Ed, my '02 S did this too. I checked the AOS, and it was fine. It kept getting worse until I ran a bottle of Techron thru... Amazingly easy fix, car runs like new now. Gas mileage dramatically improved too. My car is stock.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #13

Ok guys, what is the deal with Techron ?

Does this stuff really work, or is it snake oil ?

If it is worthwhile, where can I get it ( I don't see any Chevron stations listed in Illinois on their website ) ?

Thanks,

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #14
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Ok guys, what is the deal with Techron ?

Does this stuff really work, or is it snake oil ?

If it is worthwhile, where can I get it ( I don't see any Chevron stations listed in Illinois on their website ) ?

Thanks,

Nick
Nick, I have used it. About once per year. You can buy at any of the better auto parts stores. It's a black bottle. They have it pre-measured for 12 gallons and 20. I use the big one. Cost about $11.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:45 AM   #15

Techron is good.. I've seen the results first hand tearing down a 911 motor that I ran Techron through with every oil change.

HOWEVER.. I have seen a more direct improvement in my Jeep and my 951 using the Lucas products. I highly recommend the Lucas fuel additive (http://lucasoil.hodgsoncorp.com/lucas_fuel_treatment.htm

It solved a bouncing idle issue in my Jeep, and marginally improved throttle response in the Boxster.

HammerESQ is offline   Reply With Quote