Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #1

Found this in the Oil Filter

Changed the oil today and using what I learned from you guys on this forum, I cut open the filter to examine it for particles and found this. The good news, no metal particles, the bad (?) news, it was full of these lime green bits of plastic material. Not being intimately familiar with the internals of the Boxster engine, I don't know what to make of them.
Can't be from the chain tensioners, they are black from what I have seen in pictures. I did find about 10 little black particles, but I figure that can be normal for an engine with as many miles on it that I have.
The green particles are not very hard, you can break them apart with fingernail pressure, so I don't think they are from a seal gone bad. A wild guess might be some sort of gasket sealer that broke loose inside the engine?
I tossed a speaker magnet into the drain pan full of oil to see it there were any ferrous particles in the oil, nothing.
My next plan is to change the filter again after a month of use and see if there are still green particles in it.
Here are the vital statistics:
2000 S, 106,650 miles
1 year since last oil change (about 5k)
5W-40 AMS oil European Formula

Soooo, any of the experts out there got an opinion?
Here's a pic of the filter/particles.

Attached Images

Last edited by Spinnaker; 10-03-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:15 AM   #2

Garage
hmmmmmmmm.
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #3

oil pump impeller? just a wild guess
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
oil pump impeller? just a wild guess
Every oil pump I have seen is made of steel. If they were made of anything else, there would be a lot of burned out engines around.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
Every oil pump I have seen is made of steel. If they were made of anything else, there would be a lot of burned out engines around.
I thought I read where someone specifically said it was a plastic impeller, I might have that mixed up with the water pump.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
Doc

Are you sure it's plastic? I am asking because, at least in the picture, it looks quite similar to soft metal bearing material.
Fluellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #7

There are multiple potential sources for plastic in the oil; most common ones are the rub surfaces on the chain guides (usually black in color) and gasket materials (often green in color). The oil pump is all metal, so it is not from the pump. You also occasional find bits of dark plastic from the sump baffle assembly.

You appear to have bits of gasket/silicon in the oil.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #8

For peace of mind re pulling any metal out of the oil, get the magnetic sump plug from LN engineering. Once installed it is an easy way to see if there are any metal particles floating around in the lubrication system.
Pinarelloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #9

The oil pump is absolutely all metal. The only plastic in there is on the chain ramps (though they are usually black) and maybe a seal (but I'm trying to think where you'd find green, even the factory sealant used everywhere is black). Only green I've seen in these could be an O-ring?
Old 10-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #10

Some of the factory sealants appear dark green-grey after prolonged exposure to oil; I've seen that sort of "pea green" bits in more than one M96..........
Old 10-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinarelloman
For peace of mind re pulling any metal out of the oil, get the magnetic sump plug from LN engineering. Once installed it is an easy way to see if there are any metal particles floating around in the lubrication system.
I installed a homemade one this time around. Bought a new drain plug and milled a recess into it. Then I used JB Weld to epoxy one of those magnets that you are supposed to keep out of the reach of kids because they can swallow them. Next oil change will tell the story.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #12

I have one of the LN magnetic drain plugs (and the billet filter adapter) and the only residue I find at oil change time is a bit of a metallic paste on the magnet; not enough to worry about. I may send an oil sample in next time to set my baseline, as the car is due for its fall change. The vehicle is going to be nine years old and has just turned 19k miles on the clock this summer...been using Castrol Syntec 10W40, so I'd like to gauge my engine health.

Good idea to cut the filter open, though mine will be a little more difficult since it's a sealed canister.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Good idea to cut the filter open, though mine will be a little more difficult since it's a sealed canister.
Don't use the kitchen can opener, the wife will be hoppin' mad.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:59 AM   #14

cam plugs are green
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:25 AM   #15

Yes, they are; but I have never seen one break up. But I have seen what appears to be sealant bits on many occasions, and they never led to any issues......
Old 10-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I have one of the LN magnetic drain plugs (and the billet filter adapter) and the only residue I find at oil change time is a bit of a metallic paste on the magnet; not enough to worry about. I may send an oil sample in next time to set my baseline, as the car is due for its fall change. The vehicle is going to be nine years old and has just turned 19k miles on the clock this summer...been using Castrol Syntec 10W40, so I'd like to gauge my engine health.

Several sources for an oil filter cutting tool:

Jegs, Summit Racing, and other automotive specialty shops sell them; do not buy one from any aviation related outlet; if you think Porsche parts are over priced, get involved with an FAA tool outlet...........
Old 10-08-2010, 06:51 AM   #17

i was thinking it was set too deep and got a close shave.....not enough to leak...just a little off the inside...just a thought
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #18

Garage
Looks like the filter did its job. I won't worry it about, unless the next time or two you unwrap the filter pleats and see these alien droppings in your filter. Sooner or later they'll stop.

Again, the oil and filter are doing their job.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #19

My first post, just joined.

Hi all, i was researching green bits found in the oil filter on boxsters, because i found some in mine today after reading that you should pull the filter apart and inspect it. I have a couple of orings leaking around the spark plug seals, wondered if it could be the source of these green bits, one piece was like a worm and stretched! Although that was brownish red. 2000 boxster s with 95,000 on the clock. New waterpump, and air mass sensor. Have owned it for 3 years, done around 12,000 miles in it.

Last edited by Mikelove; 08-31-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Mikelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #20

Here is my filter

Mikelove is offline   Reply With Quote