Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2020, 08:00 AM   #1

(yet another) rear glass re-attaching thread -- looking for step-by-step advice

I've searched the forum and found some information, but thought I'd start another thread to capture any new information and/or further details, for me and the others to follow.

Car: 2000 Boxster, blue/brown, 92K miles, new ceramic IMS bearing, with a glass window top (was probably done in 2005-2010 timeframe -- I am 3rd owner, have had it 6-7 months).

Problem: Glass rear window literally fell out.

I have been parking the car outside, but cover it (I have a 73.5 911T and son's '86 944 in two bays my wife has not requisitioned).

I've been out of town for about a week. Cover blew off one night, wife called, thought someone was trying to steal car because rear window was out.

Clearly, Texas heat finally got the best of the adhesive, and it just fell out onto the package shelf.

Window is fully out, while the fastening frame has mostly (but not completely) de-adhered from the canvas.

I googled and found some generic instructions and videos about reinstalling convertible top glass but nothing Boxster specific (including only one Boxster specific thread on rennlist about a boxster glass window falling out after a repaint with a heat booth cure but no recommendation/solution)..

At a macro level, there appear to be two methods: 3M VHB tape and 3M window adhesive (urethane window weld sems most popular).

Thoughts/polling on which is preferred? Anecdotes seem to point to tape as being preferred (maybe because it is easier)?

For either method, does anyone have a successful step-by-step, e.g., for the tape method, which tape type and width (1/2" or 1", there are several 3M VHB tapes), should I use the VHB tape primer (2x as expensive as the tape itself) or is rubbing alcohol sufficient, can the tape be used for the fastening frame that pulls the canvas taut around the window opening or should the canvas-to-frame be secured with adhesive (i.e., a hybrid: adhesive for the stretch frame, tape for the window itself), does the tape require the suction cup clamps to hold it securing against the frame while setting/curing, etc.?

Any/all methods/steps added to this thread would be most appreciated.

austinporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
Will there be cake?

Garage
if everything is there, I would seek advice from a pro shop that specializes in convertibles and has a great reputation. the advice alone would be worth it and they will probably be able to fix this with the right products for a modest fee.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:36 PM   #3

Unfortunately, I live in Austin, which means everything costs 3x what it might in, say, Pittsburgh or Boise or even San Antonio.

Lowest quote I got on ATX was $350 just to reattach glass, can buy a whole new aftermarket top for like $500-600, right?

Ordered 3M VHB (very high bond tape), primer for glass and sealer for the cloth (as cloth wraps over the frame and the glass actually attaches to the cloth wrapped around the frame).

Will report back on how it goes.

austinporsche is offline   Reply With Quote