Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2020, 12:47 PM   #1

Garage
Alarm Issues Still

I'm still trying to resolve this pesky "Alarm going off randomly" issue. I thought it might be the alarm horn so I disconnected it and all was fine for a couple weeks, then the other day, I noticed the flashing lights showing that the alarm was going off. I took it out for a drive, parked it, set the alarm and for the last 3 days all is fine.

So... is it possible for the alarm to be activated through heavy vibrations like a loaded semi-turck or the siren from a passing fire truck? Where I park the vehicle is only about 15 feet from a well traveled roadway.

Also, another thought came up, if one of the sensors in the door latch mechanism is failing, could that possibly set off the alarm just through vibrations or loud noises?

mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:33 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Vibrations could be an issue if a sensor is already on its way out, I would think. But that would likely need to be some strong stuff.

Any access to a scan tool or Durametric?
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Vibrations could be an issue if a sensor is already on its way out, I would think. But that would likely need to be some strong stuff.

Any access to a scan tool or Durametric?
I have an Autel MD802 scanner.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:13 AM   #4

Sorry if I am repeating a reply, but I am new to the Boxster and the forum in general.
I have already had the joy of the random alarm and have fixed it by turning off the interior sensor. (Lock twice in quick succession). It is moth season here and they get into everything. This would explain why my issue is / was only happening at night.
JohnnyBoyZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #5

Garage
Well, I took my scanner out today and ran a few tests, here is what showed up;

54 Radio Receiver Faulty
47 Control Locking Syncronization
61 Central Locking Limit Position. Unlock not reached

I DO have an aftermarket head unit in this vehicle, so this could be a simple issue of a non-existent ground wire, (clear 54).
I do have a history of the pesky "window won't drop" issue that I thought I solved many months ago, I haven't had any problems with the window drop, but if one of those latch sensors, either driver or passenger is bad, it will cause the 47 and 61 codes. Looks like I will be changing latches.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:48 PM   #6

Garage
I pulled the Kenwood head unit today, and sure enough, the ground wire was not connected. Soldered it up, put it back in, fired it up and now the only alarm code I have is 61, but that could go away after a few cycles of the doors, trunks and a drive.

Amazing what 1 wire can cause...
Old 06-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #7

I have been having an issue for months now! I will either just start the car up or be pulling out of the drive way and the alarm won't SOUND but the flashers will come on and stay on until I turn the car off. Somethings I can go a mile or so then right back on!

I hooked up my Durametric for the i48 alarm and it shows the standard yellow warnings which is says you don't have to worry about. I have even cleaned the alarm codes and still every time I drive the car the freaking flashers come on.

Anyone have some insight on this?

Brian
Brian Minson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Minson View Post
I have been having an issue for months now! I will either just start the car up or be pulling out of the drive way and the alarm won't SOUND but the flashers will come on and stay on until I turn the car off. Somethings I can go a mile or so then right back on!

I hooked up my Durametric for the i48 alarm and it shows the standard yellow warnings which is says you don't have to worry about. I have even cleaned the alarm codes and still every time I drive the car the freaking flashers come on.

Anyone have some insight on this?

Brian
Pull the drivers seat, take apart the module and check for moisture. Have you been having any issues with the locking doors with the keyfob? It sounds like a water issue...

And just a side note, I have eliminated the vibration or noise possibilities, it's been over a week and my alarm has not gone off. So I'm still looking at a door latch, or trunk/frunk latch sensor.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #9

I had the immobilizer repaired/replaced back in November by ECU Doctors in Flordia $$$$ and the issue has been since day one. Not sure if this was happening before I bought the car, as it didn't really run HA, check out the video:

https://youtu.be/G5pt_hXDNEk

Brian

Brian Minson is offline   Reply With Quote