Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2020, 06:36 AM   #1

Found my jack stand solution!

After the harbor freight jack stand recalls, I wanted to research the most cost effective jack stands that I would feel safe using. I was thinking about a quickjack or other lift system, but thought of the cost benefit are there any other good options. I have looked at almost every jack stand system out there that I would feel safe using, including the safe jack and others. For the price, $105 shipped for a pair, I dont think you can find a better pair of jackstands!! 22 ton forklift jack set found on ebay. I was expecting the listing to be wrong, and only 1 would be included but it is for a pair! A nice large flat area to sit securely under the jack points, stable base, strong cylinder design to eliminate the chances for faulty welds, and the size of pin and capacity, would actually feel safe under these!

Also trying out new attachments for my current jack stands, but most likely will get two more of these for this price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:39 AM   #2

Correction, cot confused and only 13 tons, but plenty of safety factor. 26,000 pound capacity.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:43 AM   #3

Old 06-01-2020, 07:34 PM   #4

Those are still made in China those pins are the weak link. You can buy a lot of 2x8 for 100$. Cut em in PC's and stack what you need that's what I use. Those stands are probably fine I think the wood is better
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:37 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Just in case someone else wants a set, I found them for $69.95...

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/forklifts-attachments/jacks/global-industrial-forkli-jack-stands-pair-26-000-lb-capacity
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:21 PM   #6

Not the cheapest solution, but I use a pair of jackpoint jack stands on the rear lift point. You only need 2 as you can lift the car high enough from the rear point that the front will come off the ground and I place a regular jack stand in the front. The jackpoints have a wide base. Once again, not the cheapest solution, but do we want to scrimp when it comes to safety?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Not the cheapest solution, but I use a pair of jackpoint jack stands on the rear lift point. You only need 2 as you can lift the car high enough from the rear point that the front will come off the ground and I place a regular jack stand in the front. The jackpoints have a wide base. Once again, not the cheapest solution, but do we want to scrimp when it comes to safety?

I looked at those, and they were nice and my second choice, but if I were going to spend that much, might as well spring for a quick jack.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
Those are still made in China those pins are the weak link. You can buy a lot of 2x8 for 100$. Cut em in PC's and stack what you need that's what I use. Those stands are probably fine I think the wood is better

I always use a back up system also. And the pins may be the weak point, but look at the pins on regular 3 ton cylinder stands, and the teeth on normal stands, no way I would trust them without a backup.

I did a little research on pin shear, a 1 inch grade 8 bolt has a shear strength of about 70,000 pounds. And it would take double that since there are 2 shear points where the pin is inserted. I am sure this is a heat treated bolt that has close to that shear strength, and enough safety factor built in that a corner of a boxster would be no problem!!

Old 06-02-2020, 05:51 AM   #9

weak pins? come on, the car weighs 3000lbs. Its a non issue.

I use Esco stands and I've been very happy. The car is solid as a rock on these things and the pin is roughly 1/4 the size of the forklift ones.

I get being concerned about safety of course, but lets not panic.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:13 AM   #10
NewUserName

Only gripe I would have is that it looks like there are only 3 heights to choose from - correct?
DoninDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:22 AM   #11
Will there be cake?

Garage
I just bought the escos, replacing my recalled HF stands...they are great, stable and strong. Another plus is they aren't that expensive. The only "issue" is the high starting point, you need to get the car way up in the air to set them.
I will say, I like the combo hydraulic stands, but already made my purchase. The lift bars are really tempting, but around 300 bucks and my hope that I wont need the car in the air for awhile keeps my from making the plunge. I have one last project in the works and then Ill drive it for the summer.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoninDel View Post
Only gripe I would have is that it looks like there are only 3 heights to choose from - correct?

Looks like 4 positions, all the way down and 3 pin holes. Should be plenty for most jobs, 15 something inch max. I watched a video on youtube where a guy was destructively testing jacks and jack stands, and a similar tube type that had a much smaller pin, it took 25 tons to fail!

Old 06-03-2020, 06:34 AM   #13
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
HF gave me $21.57 back and I bought a new pair from Walmart, +/- $30. They look identical. They also look like another pair that I have had for +/-30 years. All of them are made in China.

+1 on the Liftbars. I bought a pair a couple of years ago and still glad I did. As much as I like Esco's, you need the yoke of the HF style for the Liftbars to work. They feel very solid in use. Like the Esco's, it takes some back and forth to get it up to full height.

My take away is to check the yoke cast pieces for quality. They should look like a sharp saw blade. If the edges are damaged or look like a poor casting, replace them. Also check the cog that they catch on. It should swing freely and have a sharp edge to it also. I also keep my jack, wheels, stacks of wood under the car as back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
The lift bars are really tempting, but around 300 bucks and my hope that I wont need the car in the air for awhile keeps my from making the plunge.

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboggs View Post
Correction, cot confused and only 13 tons, but plenty of safety factor. 26,000 pound capacity.

May be a silly question, but why would you need a 26,000 lb stand when our cars weigh only about 3000 lbs?
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
weak pins? come on, the car weighs 3000lbs. Its a non issue.

I use Esco stands and I've been very happy. The car is solid as a rock on these things and the pin is roughly 1/4 the size of the forklift ones.

I get being concerned about safety of course, but lets not panic.
I use flat top escos as well. I drove across the border to get them. They the best interface with Porsche jack points. The pins are in double shear at each corner so things will be fine load capacity wise.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfranz View Post
May be a silly question, but why would you need a 26,000 lb stand when our cars weigh only about 3000 lbs?

I have never felt safe working under a car on jackstands, and for a few dollars more gives me much more peace of mind!