Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
MYRX

Convertible Top Help

So, a beautiful day in GA, I decide to go for a ride and started lowering the top. I notice the rear convertible lid is rising at and angle, drivers side seems ok, but right side isn't wanting to lift. I hear a pop! I manage to get the lid closed. Tried to lower the top again, same thing. Any suggestions? I not sure how to access anything to inspect for damage. I am a relatively new Boxster owner. The car is a 2000 S. Can the top be manually lowered?

MYRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:27 AM   #2

You've come to the right forum to get help on your convertible top. I'd start by searching this forum. There are many topics and threads that cover convertible top issues and fixes. Also, check the Pelican Parts website as Wayne Dempsey has written several DIYs on this topic.

-RobT

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
RobT987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:22 PM   #3

Sounds like a broken gear in the top transmission or possibly the drive cable you can do manual I think the owners manual explains how to make it manual in an emergency. Its not difficult nor expensive to fix.
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:03 AM   #4

you heard a pop? That probably is one of two things. 1. The push rod ball joint popping off the top. 2. the clam shell push rod popping off the transmission. Search the form for the emergency way to remove both and inspect it. Waynes book (pelican forum) has info on how to retime the transmissions if need be.

My guess is though you broke an end cap and now need to replace it (ebay $15).
clean_send is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:51 AM   #5
MYRX

Thank you all for the input. I am digging into the problem this weekend. After doing some research, I might just remove everything and elect to go the manual route.

MYRX is offline   Reply With Quote