Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2020, 08:13 PM   #1

Manual frunk open cable

Electrical problem has made my 2001 Boxster frunk switch not work. I tried the fuse box solution without any luck. I知 going to try to get to the manual release cable behind the tire but have gotten two different answers about which side the cable is on. Can someone tell me conclusively which side it痴 on, passenger or driver side? I知 in the u.s. so driver side is the left side.

Thanks, Larry

022520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:40 PM   #2

Should be passenger side.
loflyingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 022520 View Post
Electrical problem has made my 2001 Boxster frunk switch not work. I tried the fuse box solution without any luck. I知 going to try to get to the manual release cable behind the tire but have gotten two different answers about which side the cable is on. Can someone tell me conclusively which side it痴 on, passenger or driver side? I知 in the u.s. so driver side is the left side.

Thanks, Larry
On my 2004 it is on the passenger side under the wheel well cover, between the headlight housing and frunk tub.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:10 AM   #4
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
On my 2004 it is on the passenger side under the wheel well cover, between the headlight housing and frunk tub.
Ditto. And use a good flashlight as it could be hiding.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:13 AM   #5

Passenger side, just like Oldcarguy and loflyingz said. If you are the original owner and didn't re-route it. If you're not the original owner, there's a chance that a previous owner moved it. Most likely just behind the tow hook cover or somewhere behind the bumper cover that's easier to access than the original spot.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Passenger side, just like Oldcarguy and loflyingz said. If you are the original owner and didn't re-route it. If you're not the original owner, there's a chance that a previous owner moved it. Most likely just behind the tow hook cover or somewhere behind the bumper cover that's easier to access than the original spot.
Yeah this is where I moved mine for easier access...It's right under the front bumper towards the rear tie strapped for super easy access.
Side skirts / Bought from original owner
99Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #7

Had a problem getting into the frunk on my 98 (which is all mechanical). I thought the main cable had broken and set out to find the emergency cable in the passenger tire well. First problem, wheel lug key was in the frunk so I had to remove the fender liner with the tire in place. (Not easy). Couldn't find the emergency cable anywhere so I had my wife (who has much smaller hands) reach up alongside the headlight where she found a cable which was very short so I hooked it with an S hook and pulled real hard. It clearly wasn't gonna do anything! Figuring it was tangled I actually purchased an endoscope so that I could see what was going on and hopefully untangle it. After spending days on this I finally gave up and took it to a shop who determined the problem was the latch not the main cable and he was able to muscle open the lid while I pulled on the lever. Later inspection showed that the torsion spring in the latch itself had popped out of place so the latch was replaced. As soon as I got home I pulled the right headlight to reroute the cable and I found what you see in the photo - the end of the cable had been tucked into the headlight mount so there would be no chance of it ever working!

GRS from Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote