View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #7
GRS from Kzoo

Had a problem getting into the frunk on my 98 (which is all mechanical). I thought the main cable had broken and set out to find the emergency cable in the passenger tire well. First problem, wheel lug key was in the frunk so I had to remove the fender liner with the tire in place. (Not easy). Couldn't find the emergency cable anywhere so I had my wife (who has much smaller hands) reach up alongside the headlight where she found a cable which was very short so I hooked it with an S hook and pulled real hard. It clearly wasn't gonna do anything! Figuring it was tangled I actually purchased an endoscope so that I could see what was going on and hopefully untangle it. After spending days on this I finally gave up and took it to a shop who determined the problem was the latch not the main cable and he was able to muscle open the lid while I pulled on the lever. Later inspection showed that the torsion spring in the latch itself had popped out of place so the latch was replaced. As soon as I got home I pulled the right headlight to reroute the cable and I found what you see in the photo - the end of the cable had been tucked into the headlight mount so there would be no chance of it ever working!
GRS from Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote